starting strength gym

Thread: Base Level Macros

Default Base Level Macros

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I am breaking way out of my comfort zone lately. Bought a food scale, using the myfitness pal app to track my Macros.

Goals.

Current BW: 235 @ a 7 site skinfold 17%
    Goal BW: <220
    "Sport": Powerlifting (USAPL). My goal this coming year is to take my low 3 hunge wilks and move it up closer to 400.
    Info: Spent May to Now of this year dropping fat and bw from a 21%+ 275 in May to 231-235 today. Using a very loose paleo template not tracking macros.

I basically want to know what are some basic macro ratios you start with for a guy with my goals. Obviously I just need the initial numbers and will adjust from there on my own.

So what are some macro calculations you would use for me to start with? How should I adjust going forward?

I am basically going to approach this with the IIFYM approach while still maintaining high quality foods.

If you want to compete in the 220 weight class AND you have a meet coming up in March then I would probably start you at:

300/250/100 6 days a week and then one day of 275/400/80 on either your heaviest day or day with the most volume. Track your BF via pics, measurements (waist), etc. Your goal would to be about 225ish a week out from the meet.

Thanks Homie, is it retarded to adjust my macros by dropping the fat down little by little if I need to get some more juice out of this macro set?

I realize this will probably make me super hungry if it gets too low.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    Thanks Homie, is it retarded to adjust my macros by dropping the fat down little by little if I need to get some more juice out of this macro set?

I realize this will probably make me super hungry if it gets too low.
    I'd probably run these macros for 2-3 weeks without messing with anything. Then I'd add some HITT (2 x a week as I've outlined elsewhere). Then, I'd add or remove carbs and fat together, little by little.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I'd probably run these macros for 2-3 weeks without messing with anything. Then I'd add some HITT (2 x a week as I've outlined elsewhere). Then, I'd add or remove carbs and fat together, little by little.
    To piggy back off of this, what would be things to look for when deciding whether to add/remove fat and carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveBarker View Post
    To piggy back off of this, what would be things to look for when deciding whether to add/remove fat and carbs?
    Gaining bodyfat without a commensurate increase in LBM would tell me to take a bit out, whereas losing weight too quickly would tell me to add energy. With people who don't want to/won't count, I typically do this with glasses of milk, i.e. if you're getting a bit fluffy then remove 1 glass of milk per day or add 1 or 2 if you're losing weight too quickly.

FYI: losing weight too quickly is totally subjective and varies a lot on the situation, i.e. is there a meet or show coming up? In general though, I like to see someone stay around the same weight for 2-3 weeks before and "get used to" the macros before I start playing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    If you want to compete in the 220 weight class AND you have a meet coming up in March then I would probably start you at:

300/250/100 6 days a week and then one day of 275/400/80 on either your heaviest day or day with the most volume. Track your BF via pics, measurements (waist), etc. Your goal would to be about 225ish a week out from the meet.
    Would you place the heavy carb day on the day of heavy or volume training or the day before? Thanks for answering so many questions haha.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBarker View Post
    Would you place the heavy carb day on the day of heavy or volume training or the day before? Thanks for answering so many questions haha.
    I personally like the high carb day the day before a high volume or heavy training day, although some people prefer them the day of. I usually have clients alternate this a few times to see what works best for them. I know that's not a super scientific answer but these things tend to vary in people.