starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition Plan for Competitive Lightweight Rower to lose fat and improve performance.

Default Nutrition Plan for Competitive Lightweight Rower to lose fat and improve performance.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan.

I am a 26 year old male national top level lightweight rower (trying to make my way to international).

However I'd say that I've been bitten by the strength bug, and strength training is my "hobby" so to speak. I'd like to get as strong as possible for my size (not only because I think it helps me in my Sport, but also just because I want to be damn strong!).

I am currently 184cm/6ft, 76kg/168lb with around 13 bf% (morning weight). My goal was to gain some good muscle and strength until New Year (where I succeeded) and then strip fat off for the summer. I would like to slowly get to below 8% for the end of May, while not sacrificing performance (strength or endurance), but still improving. That would put me to around 72kg where it would be easy for me with some sweating and empty stomach make for the 70kg weight limit. (Last summer I was 72kg with around 10% bf, but I have now more muscle so I have to get leaner).

Recent results:
    Rowing with C2 2K: 6:27,4 and 5K: 17:02,2
    Lifting 1RMs: SQ: 140kg, P: 60kg, BP: 90kg, PC: 82kg (I need more explosiveness), DL: 170kg. Chins 18 strict.

I am training Rowing with Volume based endurance program my coach makes me. In this training cycle I have heavy interval/ tempo rowing sessions on Mon, Wed and Fri. Lifting is fullbody on Tue, Thu, Sat (lifting programming I get to choose myself, currently Intermediate style Volume-Intensity variation). Also 2nd training session each training day which is 80-120 min steady state endurance. Sunday is off. If you need more specific information regarding my training just ask.

Calorie consumption estimate according to Heart Rate Monitor and some BMR calculators is around 4300 on Interval days and 3800 on Strength days. Off day 2200.

My question is what macros would be good to start for my quest to low bodyfat without losing performance, but rather improving? Would it be beneficial to vary the macros depending on training day? I am also a type 1 diabetic (good balance, need only small amounts of insulin) if that makes any difference.

I thought I would start off with 300g P (270g from good sources), 450g CHO, 80g fat = 3720 kcals. On rest days 175g or so less CHO and 25g less Protein. Previously I have only questimated macros, but I got a food scale for Christmas. With that setup Protein would stay about the same, Carbs will be ~50g higher but fat will be probably over 50g less I have been eating.

Also are there any supplements that will make a difference? I am currently using Creatine and Beta-Alanine (plus multi vitamins, fish oil, Protein powder, Recovery shake with BCAA's and Sports drink during training to get carbs).

I am also interested in a consult, but I'd like to first get started by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JuhoP View Post
    My question is what macros would be good to start for my quest to low bodyfat without losing performance, but rather improving? Would it be beneficial to vary the macros depending on training day? I am also a type 1 diabetic (good balance, need only small amounts of insulin) if that makes any difference.

I thought I would start off with 300g P (270g from good sources), 450g CHO, 80g fat = 3720 kcals. On rest days 175g or so less CHO and 25g less Protein. Previously I have only questimated macros, but I got a food scale for Christmas. With that setup Protein would stay about the same, Carbs will be ~50g higher but fat will be probably over 50g less I have been eating.

Also are there any supplements that will make a difference? I am currently using Creatine and Beta-Alanine (plus multi vitamins, fish oil, Protein powder, Recovery shake with BCAA's and Sports drink during training to get carbs).

I am also interested in a consult, but I'd like to first get started by myself.
    I think you're on the right track. What kind of weigh-ins do they do at that level of rowing? Is it 2-hour, 24 hour?? That will tell you more of where you need to be, i.e. if it's 2 hour then you'll want to be running around 71-2kg coming into the week before competition and do an easy water/salt manipulation to make 70kg. It's different because you won't want to gorge on food for 2hours before you get into the boat (or on the erg in the case of the Crash B's). If it's 24hour then we've got more wiggle room, obviously.

At any rate, I'd have you start out at 270/450/100 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday and then 300/350/110 on Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday. These will have to be adjusted depending on how you're recovering from your rowing and strength training, body weight/fat, and overall feeling. I have a feeling I would start adding energy to the equation fairly quickly (~2 weeks), but we won't know until we get in there and get some data.

I like the following supplements:
    BCAA's (in between all meals)
    HMB
    D-aspartic acid
    L-carnitine
    ZMA

I definitely think you'd benefit from a consult here in a couple weeks after you get some data. Drop me a line my friend. Good luck.
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 12-31-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks!

I will go with those macros. However what did you mean as the Saturday and Sunday values? You wrote Saturday twice with different macros and no Sunday...

Also which one of the supplements you listed would benefit me the most? I'm hesitant to just start using all of them at once, but I could start with one and add the others later one at a time and see if it makes any difference.

The weighing at Rowing competitions is 2hrs before the first start of each day. Usually competitions take 2 days. First day might have two races, second day usually one. However World Cup, and other Euro/World Championship level events last for 3-5 days, in which there might some day be two starts, some day one, or even a rest day in between, depending how well you row. The Ergo races have a 75kg limit so that won't be a problem

I dont know if it has been optimal, but last summer I dropped weight by drinking only meal replacement shakes + sports drinks the day before competition (empty stomach at least -1kg usually), and also started to drink a lot of a hydration drink containing salts a few days before. I sweat at night quite alot. Then the morning I have the weigh in I don't drink anything and usually sweat out the last 1-1,5kg with rain-clothes for 30-60min easy erging right before the weighing. My thinking was it is better to be generally well hydrated and it does not matter if you are a few hours dehydrated than if you are a few days beforehand slightly dehydrated but don't have to sweat out before the race. Also I think I somehow prepped my body to get out of water by drinking the excess days before so then at the weighing day my body still thinks it needs to get rid of water so the water loss is easier. I don't know if this is how it works but this is my theory. Then after the weigh-in I drank 1 liter hydration drink mixed with sports drink and a meal replacement shake + more of the hydration/sports drink mix. Maybe 2 liters or so alltogether. The excess water usually came out before I started the warm ups 30-40mins before the race. If not, well lets just say my balance is good enough for some acrobatics in the boat

Sorry, I fixed it. Saturday should be the higher carb day (450g) and Sunday the lower (350g).

The way you cut weight would be similar to how I'd have you do it, although it'd be nice if you didn't have to do the erging before to sweat out the last kg. The water manipulation looks decent too.

As far as the supplements, I'd start with the BCAA's first (I like Scivation Xtend), then add ZMA (before bed), then add HMB, then add D-Aspartic Acid, then add L-carnitine.

Allright!

Thanks again. This will give me a good flying start.

Happy New Year!

starting strength coach development program
    Cool, keep us posted!