starting strength gym

Thread: Diet composition advice for strength athlete

Default Diet composition advice for strength athlete

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Jordan,

I am a weightlifter looking for diet advice. There is no particular reason for this other than that I want to see if a structured approach to nutrition might accelerate my progress since I want to train more seriously in the coming months leading up to a competition. So far I have very little experience with meal planning and I have no clue what my macros have been so far. My goal would be to maintain my training bodyweight and optimize diet composition to fuel my lifting efforts and strength progress.

Bodyweight: 98 kg (-94 kg weight-class)
    Bf%: ~18.53% (best guess method from here)
    Advancement: Intermediate trainee
    Current lifts: Squat: 230 kg x 3, Press: 80 kg x 3, Deadlift: 225 kg x 1, Bench-press: 140 kg x 1

A recommendation for appropriate macros would help a lot already. Any other info you would like to give is appreciated as well.

Thank you for doing this Q&A!

How many days a week are you training, how far out are you from the meet, and how serious do you want to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    How many days a week are you training, how far out are you from the meet, and how serious do you want to get?
    Thank you for taking my question!

I am going to start the next training block with 3x per week training and increase towards 4 days eventually. Monday is going to be volume strength work, Friday is intensity work, Tuesday and Thursday will be devoted to the quick lifts and front-squats.

The meet I am training for is probably going to be in fall, so many months out. I will do 1-2 minor competitions in the mean time for fun, experience and maybe qualifying purposes. But I do not intend to cut training volume/intensity for those.

In terms of seriousness, I want consistent improvement out of my training and facilitate intermediate progress for the months until the fall competition. So far things went well without any diligence regarding food choices. Things will get harder during the next training block. Improving my nutrition is that next step I feel I need to go. So I will get as serious as necessary to achieve that.

Quote Originally Posted by steven-miller View Post
    Thank you for taking my question!

I am going to start the next training block with 3x per week training and increase towards 4 days eventually. Monday is going to be volume strength work, Friday is intensity work, Tuesday and Thursday will be devoted to the quick lifts and front-squats.

The meet I am training for is probably going to be in fall, so many months out. I will do 1-2 minor competitions in the mean time for fun, experience and maybe qualifying purposes. But I do not intend to cut training volume/intensity for those.

In terms of seriousness, I want consistent improvement out of my training and facilitate intermediate progress for the months until the fall competition. So far things went well without any diligence regarding food choices. Things will get harder during the next training block. Improving my nutrition is that next step I feel I need to go. So I will get as serious as necessary to achieve that.
    Alright the goal will be to get you to 97kg and hold you there until about a month out from a "mini comp". Then we would bring you down to 94kg over the 4 weeks to see how you responded. This "should" be no big deal with regards to training intensity and meet performance. The next meet we would try and hold you at 97 until two weeks out and see if we could "get way" with that short of a cut/water manipulation. Then for your big meet in the fall we'd pick whichever one you preferred (and weren't mental about).

Right off the bat I'd have you doing the following macros 275 g pro/ 325g cho/ 100 fat on all days except for Wednesday or Thursday, which would be something like 245/450/90. In a perfect world, I'd adjust your macros every week or so, but this should get you started.

I am very enthusiastic about putting this into action. It will certainly require some serious modifications of my eating habits but I am happy about that and quite optimistic to put up some big numbers in the coming months. Me eating like an athlete, who would have thought? Thank you!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by steven-miller View Post
    I am very enthusiastic about putting this into action. It will certainly require some serious modifications of my eating habits but I am happy about that and quite optimistic to put up some big numbers in the coming months. Me eating like an athlete, who would have thought? Thank you!
    Cool man. Keep track of your waist measurements and let that factor into how you're going to steer the boat. GL.