starting strength gym

Thread: Serious nutrition question.

Default Serious nutrition question.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I like to joke around as much as the next guy but this is for cereal.

I'm starting paramedic school Jan 10th. This is going to be changing my training schedule pretty significantly. Right now I train every third day using a press and a squat/pull every workout with a conditioning session every other. Think SS/adv novice/Starr here. It's not always the same, its a lot of fucking around, but I'm seeing some progress again after some major fucking around and I'm planning on moving over to more of real TM split when these linearish gains stop. I mainly eat a low carb + dairy diet, I don't count calories, or macros or anything.

Right now I'm on a 24 hour 3 shift cycle for work. I basically work every third day from 8am-8am. Paramedic classroom time will follow my shift for 8 hours every day from 9am-5pm. I will then have clinicals from 9am-9pm the day after. And then I'll start the whole 3 day process over again.'

I plan on training upper body stuff during my lunch break in class, and then finishing up with a squat/deadlift/ and conditioning workout after class when I get home with any supplementary stuff being in the form of work related training on shift and walking my dogs in the mornings and/or evenings.

My main goals are to see some body recomp and continued strength progress during these 11 months of hell. I realize I might need to pick one over the other due to all the added stress.

I'm planning on trying to stick with a 8 day low carb paleoesque cycle with a 9th day refeed.

Do I need to start counting macros? Do I need to do anything special? What, if anything, would you tweak? What would you recommend for pre/post workout nutrition for both sessions (during class and then after)? I also understand if this a bit more in depth than what is required here, but thanks for reading and any input.

Applicable stats, all lifts current bests
    27 yo Male, 6'2"
    265lbs - 25-30% BF

Squat : 375x5
    Deadlift : 425x5
    Bench: 275x5
    Press: 185x5
    PC: 225x5

I've had a few buddies of mine go through Paramedic school (then fire academy) and the schedule seems brutal. You'll be good though, although it seems like a lot of sitting around while waiting for a call, right? I don't think you need to start going crazy on the weighing and measuring stuff just yet, although I do think you'll see a huge benefit in both compliance and "ease of use" by picking a certain day/night to cook a ton of food to prepare for the next 5-7 days. I'd stick to mainly lean proteins, i.e. chicken breasts, turkey, chuck roast, flank steak, fish, tuna, egg whites, protein powder, fat free greek yogurt, low-fat/fat free cottage cheese, etc. and pretty low carb (veggies only) except after training. After training I'd just do 1 "serving" of carbs (~25-40g), like potatoes, rice, oats, etc. I wouldn't add any fats to the equation and I'd keep a good conditioning workout (row, prowl, sled, kettlebell, sprint, etc.) after each of your evening sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I've had a few buddies of mine go through Paramedic school (then fire academy) and the schedule seems brutal. You'll be good though, although it seems like a lot of sitting around while waiting for a call, right? I don't think you need to start going crazy on the weighing and measuring stuff just yet, although I do think you'll see a huge benefit in both compliance and "ease of use" by picking a certain day/night to cook a ton of food to prepare for the next 5-7 days. I'd stick to mainly lean proteins, i.e. chicken breasts, turkey, chuck roast, flank steak, fish, tuna, egg whites, protein powder, fat free greek yogurt, low-fat/fat free cottage cheese, etc. and pretty low carb (veggies only) except after training. After training I'd just do 1 "serving" of carbs (~25-40g), like potatoes, rice, oats, etc. I wouldn't add any fats to the equation and I'd keep a good conditioning workout (row, prowl, sled, kettlebell, sprint, etc.) after each of your evening sessions.
    The shift itself is hit or miss. Running medical calls is no thing, but car accidents, fires, and Hazmat related calls are another story. Running calls after midnight is where the stress and added workload is going to catch up. Right now I have two days to do nothing, so it's no big deal, but that first day where we are up all night and then I have to go to class the next morning is going to be a major suckfest. I will have weekend days off from class, so there will be some built in rest days I can take advantage of.

Good to know my head was at least on the right track. Would the typical Whey/Waxy Maize be fine post workout for the earlier session?

Any thing good or bad about a refeed day? In the past, its seemed to help me be more compliant when I know I can splurge a bit and eat some pizza, or take the wife out for a nice dinner without having to fret over food choices. Where would milk fit into all of this? I loves me some cow juice.

I'd give you an either or scenario...

Either:

go low carb with milk being your PWO "shake" and have a refeed day (although I would prefer it to just be a meal or period of time like 4pm-bed, instead of an all out day).

Or:

Do the whey/maize PWO for earlier sessions, then protein + carbs (minimal fats) after the evening session, no milk, and a refeed MEAL.

I'd give you an either or scenario...

Either:

go low carb with milk being your PWO "shake" and have a refeed day (although I would prefer it to just be a meal or period of time like 4pm-bed, instead of an all out day).

Or:

Do the whey/maize PWO for earlier sessions, then protein + carbs (minimal fats) after the evening session, no milk, and a refeed MEAL.
    So as I understand it, a cyclical keto OR a backload? Is that the gist? Option 2 sounds the easiest with my upcoming schedule. Any pros/cons that you feel about either one? I can always read up on the current literature if you dont.

Ill talk with the wife about it and see how she feels. Thanks, bub.

Well neither would be keto, since obviously milk + enough veggies (or protein) would take you out of ketosis. I think the first one would make you more "compliant" although I don't think the milk is necessarily better than the PWO shake or regular food. You said you liked milk so that's where I'd put it in there. There's no backload, but just another meal with carbs after your evening training session which jives more with how people normally eat dinner, i.e. solid food instead of shakes.

Just pick the one you feel like you'd be most compliant with. I don't think a refeed day should involve eating all sorts of craziness, but it you want it to be that way you'd be better off being low carb the whole week in my opinion (consider that a 3rd option). If I had to call this something I'd call it Periodized Undulating Carb Trafficking.

Well neither would be keto, since obviously milk + enough veggies (or protein) would take you out of ketosis. I think the first one would make you more "compliant" although I don't think the milk is necessarily better than the PWO shake or regular food. You said you liked milk so that's where I'd put it in there. There's no backload, but just another meal with carbs after your evening training session which jives more with how people normally eat dinner, i.e. solid food instead of shakes.

Just pick the one you feel like you'd be most compliant with. I don't think a refeed day should involve eating all sorts of craziness, but it you want it to be that way you'd be better off being low carb the whole week in my opinion (consider that a 3rd option). If I had to call this something I'd call it Periodized Undulating Carb Trafficking.
    We should write an ebook, we will make thousands!

I get what you're saying. I was trying to make it simple so I'd know where to read. A refeed day would typically be a meal or two after training. Nothing gigantic or overindulging. Ill take it all into consideration. Thanks for commenting and being willing to pass ideas back and forth.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

starting strength coach development program
    Haha, I'll let you know when the ebook is dropping. Refeed day sounds good to me. I'd pick the second option then and keep the refeed as you have been doing it.