starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In depth articles on creatine and pre workout supplementation.

Default In depth articles on creatine and pre workout supplementation.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there,

First off, I'm hoping it isn't a serious breach of etiquette to link to my own blog; if so please let me know and I will remove it immediately.

I'd love to get the thoughts of Mr. Feigenbaum and other SS community members, and hopefully provide some information/spark some conversation on creatine and pre workout supplements.

You can find the articles at http://corpuscompendium.blogspot.com...abel/Nutrition

I'm not looking for subs or ad revenue (which I don't use), I'm frankly only posting links because the articles are too damned big to copy and paste.

Please give them a look, send me some feedback, and we can have some interesting discussions. Thanks!
    Last edited by Steve Gallo; 01-09-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gallo View Post
    Hi there,

First off, I'm hoping it isn't a serious breach of etiquette to link to my own blog; if so please let me know and I will remove it immediately.

I'd love to get the thoughts of Mr. Feigenbaum and other SS community members, and hopefully provide some information/spark some conversation on creatine and pre workout supplements.

You can find the articles at http://corpuscompendium.blogspot.com...abel/Nutrition

I'm not looking for subs or ad revenue (which I don't use), I'm frankly only posting links because the articles are too damned big to copy and past.

Please give them a look, send me some feedback, and we can have some interesting discussions. Thanks!
    I skimmed the articles (time constraints and having to read much as it is). At any rate, the articles pretty much echo much of my thoughts an the topics although I'm less worried about supplement toxicity in general. I like creatine, especially for some diseased states that deal with bioenergetics/cell death. I dislike pre workout supplements, on the whole, unless it's got enough caffeine to be of use. Everything else in them, i.e. the proprietary blend, seems to either be ineffective or present in too low of amounts to provide an ergogenic aid (creatine, bcaa's, beta alanine, etc.).

Cool post.

I skimmed the articles (time constraints and having to read much as it is). At any rate, the articles pretty much echo much of my thoughts an the topics although I'm less worried about supplement toxicity in general. I like creatine, especially for some diseased states that deal with bioenergetics/cell death. I dislike pre workout supplements, on the whole, unless it's got enough caffeine to be of use. Everything else in them, i.e. the proprietary blend, seems to either be ineffective or present in too low of amounts to provide an ergogenic aid (creatine, bcaa's, beta alanine, etc.).

Cool post.
    Understandable, thanks for the look.

It seems we're more or less in line. I consider creatine as a safe, effective, and affordable performance enhancer that can offer substantial, but not dramatic, benefits.

My conclusion on pre workout supplements given the current research is that the caffeine (and other stimulants), creatine, beta alanine, and possibly carnitine+tartate may be beneficial, where the rest is either proven bunk or completely unstudied as ergogenic aids. There's also issues of less bioavailable ingredient choices being used which render them much less effective, the balance and dosage of the ingredients, and a few other notable problems I mentioned. The common opinion of pre workouts being some kind of toxic boogeyman is largely unfounded.

Thanks for the post and your time.

You ever look into any of the phytotestosterones (pine pollen) or colostrum>

Jordan Feigenbaum

You ever look into any of the phytotestosterones (pine pollen) or colostrum>
    In a word, no. Not as supplements anyway. I've always heard that the antibiotic benefits babies get out of colostrum probably don't do much for adults, but there might be some benefit from the IGF-1/2 and other growth factors. That's just word of mouth though. If there's phytoestrogens then there must be phytotestosterones, but it's not something I've ever looked into.

I'll look into them when I get a chance, thanks.

There's people (just a few anyway) on both sides of the fence vehemently arguing their sides. I've seen like 1-2 fairly legit (although kind of old) studies on the topics. It's somewhat intriguing from a nerd point of view, aka mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gallo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I like creatine...
    Hi, Steve. Thank you for sharing your article with us. You appear quite knowledgeable, as does Jordan, so I would like to ask both of you which form of creatine you prefer? Thank you.

Creatine monohydrate.

Another nutrition guru recommended CEE to me. I purchased some but find it tastes horrible. I'm glad to hear you recommend creatine monohydrate, Jordan. Do you not believe some of the purported benefits of CEE?

starting strength coach development program
    There's no reason whatsoever to taken any creatine other than monohydrate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast