starting strength gym

Thread: Microload the deadlift, or come up with something else?

Default Microload the deadlift, or come up with something else?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've come to a point where the deadlift is getting hard. My personal best was 125 lb before the holidays (at body weight of 125 lb), but it took 3 attempts to get there. First was 2+3 (not 1X5), second was failure to lock out the 5th rep, and finally I was able to do all reps, but it took a lot out of me (light-headed, etc). Last Sat I decided to do 120 lb (since I've not deadlifted in two weeks due to lighter workout schedule during the holidays), and it felt as hard as 125 lb had been.

Now that I'm back to 3 days per week schedule, the deadlift is looming again. I'm on a sort of modified SS novice program with squat and press every workout, and deadlifts alternating with chins (assisted or singles).

Would you continue with deadlifts every other workout? If yes, is it time to microload in 2.5 lb increments? Or continue with 5 lb increments, but alternate deadlifts with, say, RDLs, so deadlift will be every fourth workout?

If this is important, I deadlift in a rack with smaller plates which creates a slight deficit. I've posted a deadlift form check and I feel that my form is good: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=35680

I've been doing Starting Strength for about 2 months now. My other lifts are 100 lb squat (incrementing in 2.5 lb by choice) and 47 lb press (incrementing by 1 or 1.5 lb). For reference, here's my training log: http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=35082&page=2

I'm 5'5; female; 40 years old.

Any advice or critique welcome!

It is probably a bit early to microload your deadlift. I just looked at your form check thread again and at 115 pounds, the bar is coming off the ground quickly even though you don't always set your back in hard extension. You probably do not need to deadlift every other workout and instead could do so once a week. Here's a question - do you go after your workouts aggressively? That is, do you believe that you are going to move the weights? Also, are you eating enough to recover? Do you get enough sleep? Many questions

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    It is probably a bit early to microload your deadlift. I just looked at your form check thread again and at 115 pounds, the bar is coming off the ground quickly even though you don't always set your back in hard extension.
    Interesting -- are you saying I need to arch my back more? I.e. my back muscles are not participating enough in the lift?

Yes, the grip is not the problem -- I can get the bar off the ground; extending my knees is what's hard. I also need to catch my breath at the bottom, and the longer I do it, the more lactic acid I feel build up in my quads and elsewhere. For example, today was 1X3 and 2 singles @125, I just could not move the 4th.

You probably do not need to deadlift every other workout and instead could do so once a week. Here's a question - do you go after your workouts aggressively? That is, do you believe that you are going to move the weights? Also, are you eating enough to recover? Do you get enough sleep? Many questions
    Thanks, I will try to deadlift once a week, on my light squat day.

My diet is good: 2/3 lb red meet almost every day, plus eggs and dairy. On workout days I also have a shake with 35 g whey protein. So far on SS I gained 2 lb. Prior to that, I did about 5 months of New Rules of Lifting (mostly dumbbells and cable machines), and I gained 5 lb -- so about 1 lb a month. I'm happy with that, I don't want to "bulk/cut" or count my macros and calories. The last time I did calorie counting, I almost ended up with unhealthy food-obsessive behaviors, and I don't want a repeat of that. My rest is good. I do understand that I'm sacrificing quicker strength gains for maintaining my body weight; but it works for me as a member of the "elderly" female population.

I'm motivated to get to 135 lb so that I can deadlift with bumper plates (higher off the ground)!
    Last edited by kessg; 01-09-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kessg View Post
    Interesting -- are you saying I need to arch my back more?
    Not at the top, but you don't always squeeze your chest up at the bottom on the 115 pound deadlift.

I also need to catch my breath at the bottom, and the longer I do it, the more lactic acid I feel build up in my quads and elsewhere. For example, today was 1X3 and 2 singles @125, I just could not move the 4th.
    Yeah, hanging out at the bottom doesn't really help anything. It just makes you tired.

I do understand that I'm sacrificing quicker strength gains for maintaining my body weight; but it works for me as a member of the "elderly" female population.
    At 40 years old, you are hardly elderly. Not even close. Lifting weights has a big mental component to it. While you obviously need to have a certain amount of strength to move a given weight, your abilities to grind on a heavy deadlift rely greatly on will. The less you think of yourself as elderly or not able to move a weight, the better your lifting is likely to go.

I'm motivated to get to 135 lb so that I can deadlift with bumper plates (higher off the ground)!
    Does your gym have some rubber mats to raise the plates off the ground? That might work until the big wheels are on.

I agree with Tom. I see absolutely nothing wrong with your form that would make me think that you cannot continue to progress on the deadlift as you have been. However, I think moving to once a week is a good idea. I know how much deadlifts beat me up. I pulled on Monday and I hated life yesterday during training.

Also, what he says here...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    At 40 years old, you are hardly elderly. Not even close. Lifting weights has a big mental component to it. While you obviously need to have a certain amount of strength to move a given weight, your abilities to grind on a heavy deadlift rely greatly on will. The less you think of yourself as elderly or not able to move a weight, the better your lifting is likely to go.
    I worked with Matt Reynolds on my deadlift for a month, and he told me that you don't know what it means to grind out a deadlift until you've crapped your pants doing it (his actual words were much less diplomatic than that). And, you know what, that was the month that I pulled over 300 lbs. Your attitude, will to succeed, whatever you want to call it is HUGE.

And, seriously. You're 40. I'm 37. If we're the elderly female population, then I'm just going to give up now and jump off a bridge.

Kessg;

You are far from 'Elderly'. I'm 61, and I don't consider myself 'elderly'.

I use my microweights for my OHP which is my most terrible lift.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I was sort of joking about the "elderly" part -- but I posted the question on this sub-forum because on the the other sections the prevalent attitude seems to be "Get strong as fast as possible! Nothing else matters!!!" For me, injury prevention and keeping my size (within reason) is more important than time -- I have plenty of that. Strength training is my workout now, and I'm really enjoying it. I do have wonky knees, and occasional back ache (self diagnosed as 'facet joint desease') so I want to be careful about those also.

I admit I was surprised and disappointed when I failed the deadlift, since it was my "best lift", going up every workout. But now the press is going up slowly but surely, so I take solace in that.

"Elderly" seems to be the meme around here for anybody who isn't the target demographic for Starting Strength. I don't consider myself elderly at 47, but it's all you geezers I identify with more than all the bros elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't consider myself elderly at 47, but it's all you geezers I identify with more than all the bros elsewhere.
    Hear, hear! (I'm 49...)

starting strength coach development program
    As a quick update, deadlifting once a week, on a light squat day, has helped. Last week, I did 125 lb set easily enough to do an upper-boddy assistance exercise after. 130 lb this week was a success too, although it was not an 'easy' set.

I also did 2 singles at 135 lb after -- to see how it feels to deadlift with the 'large wheels'; it seemed quite a bit higher off the floor, compared to the rack with small plates, so I think I'll be able to do a full set next week.

Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement!