starting strength gym

Thread: New member wanting to put on 40 lbs! HELP.

Question New member wanting to put on 40 lbs! HELP.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey everyone -- first post to the forum so I apologize if this may be a bit repetitive but I am planning to start Starting Strength this week but I had a somewhat detailed question I hope some of you can help me answer.

I'm an ectomorph (5'7, 120lbs). I understand that in order to overcome my ridiculously high metabolism and put on LBM I need to be eating at least 4000 calories with a strong emphasis on milk and high protein food. I work your average 9-5 desk job Monday-Friday so my question to you is this:

1) I know they say 6 meals a day is ideal for people of my body-type looking to gain weight so it works out that three of my meals are at work, like this:
    - Snack 1: 10am
    - Lunch: 1pm
    - Snack 2: 4pm
    How would you go about getting enough calories throughout the day in the office if you were in my position? For obvious reasons, I can't leave my desk too often so what are some convenient, yet effective high-calorie snacks I could eat at the desk?

2) Eating a 4,000-6,000 calorie diet can be expensive. I'm a 21 year old college student so what's the most affordable way to get these calories in?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses!

You don't need 6 meals a day, but if eating that frequently is the only way to get in the calories, then so be it.

If you can't leave your desk, I'd be pounding shakes (protein + oats + peanut butter + macadamian nut oil/walnut oil), greek yogurt, milk, tuna, nuts, nut butters, etc.

If you're broke, stick to cheap meats (chicken-whole, legs, breasts, etc., tuna, ground beef, and similar), eggs, peanut butter, oats, rice, potatoes, and veggies. Protein powder if you can afford it/need it. Milk to fill in the gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by crazytrain513 View Post
    1) I work your average 9-5 desk job Monday-Friday...
    For obvious reasons, I can't leave my desk too often...

2) I'm a 21 year old college student so what's the most affordable way to get these calories in?

Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    Am I missing something here?
    Good catch. Maybe correspondence or night classes?

If you desperately need to gain weight, and you do, than I wouldn't be counting protein/carb/fat as much as kcals. Just eat as much as you can. I personally drink a giant shake every day. It's around 2800 kcals so reaching 4000 total with three regular meals and snacks is not hard to do.

1.5 cup of raw oats, rolled = around 500 cal (grind them in a food processor)
    1 cup of peanuts = 863 cal (grind them as well)
    3 tbsp olive oil = 358 cal
    0.5 liter of milk = 320 cal
    0.2 liter of heavy cream = 690 cal
    1 banana, medium = about 100 cal
    ----------------------------
    Total cal per shake = 2831 (used fitday to calculate) Total cost per shake = about $1.25

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Good catch. Maybe correspondence or night classes?
    Maybe. But from the thread title, it looks like a troll to me...

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    Maybe. But from the thread title, it looks like a troll to me...
    Maybe. I was hoping the trolling would be better in a nutrition forum though.

No trolling here....work 9-5 during the day and as Jordan said, night classes.

Thanks to everyone who gave real input here I guess? And thanks 8odin8 for the useful shake recommendation. I'll be sure to give that a try.

Thanks to everyone who gave real input here I guess? And thanks 8odin8 for the useful shake recommendation. I'll be sure to give that a try.

I'd break that 1 shake up into 2-3 smaller shakes so you don't get fired for fumigating the place. Good luck bud.

starting strength coach development program

OK, my mistake.