starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting after thoracic vertebral facet injury

Default Lifting after thoracic vertebral facet injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I did something stupid day before yesterday and hyperextended my thoracic spine during warm ups on the squat. I was doing 205# and on the descent, heard a "click" and had acute pain in my thoracic spine that is likely a facet issue. It feels much better today but is sore when I wake up in the morning, and I can definitely tell it's there during the day (but much better than day before yesterday when it hurt all the time). Stupid I know. I need to hold the back in rigid extension, not hyperextension. Lesson learned.

I took today off, but when would it be reasonable to try squatting again? When the pain is completely gone, or perhaps do some light squats tomorrow? I'm also apprehensive about pressing but perhaps I could do some light presses as well?

Thanks for any advice.

Stats: 40 years old, 5'6" tall, 175 lbs.

Sunil

Not sure if this applies but here goes.

I herniated a disc in my neck several years ago between c6 c7 and while squatting I get that "click" you described about once a month. It usually happens because I try and take too big of a breath and move my head to much. My neck is sore and I lose range of motion in my neck for about a week due to the muscle tightness and spasms. I dont usually take any time off squatting most of the time I finish my sets after it happens. The best thing i can recommend is to do alot of light stretching several times a day. The best for me is to place 1 arm behind my back and pull my head to the side with the other arm. Another thing that helps me alot is to roll up a pair of sweat pants and place against shoulder and neck when i sleep to keep my neck straight, it helps to keep things supported.

If you are having bad pain of course see a doctor first, stretching a real injury is not a good thing.