starting strength gym

Thread: Carb Refeeds on moderately low carb?

Default Carb Refeeds on moderately low carb?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Jordan,

I've seen carb refeeds advocated by a number of nutrition professionals for people on low carb diets. However, these often seem targeted at people on the ketogenic end of things. Do you think a weekly refeed day, like on my biggest training day, would be useful to someone like me? I eat a paleo diet, except for whey protein powder as needed and occasional brown rice after workouts. I generally end up eating around 70g of carbs on rest days and around 120g or so on workout days. I'm lower than many, but very rarely at 50g or lower.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mgage View Post
    Jordan,

I've seen carb refeeds advocated by a number of nutrition professionals for people on low carb diets. However, these often seem targeted at people on the ketogenic end of things. Do you think a weekly refeed day, like on my biggest training day, would be useful to someone like me? I eat a paleo diet, except for whey protein powder as needed and occasional brown rice after workouts. I generally end up eating around 70g of carbs on rest days and around 120g or so on workout days. I'm lower than many, but very rarely at 50g or lower.

Thanks!

How often do you kick your heels up and do a paleo (or not) binge? Is it carb heavy? How lean are you?

I never kick my heels up, at least not for the past 6 months, but maybe a bit of that would be helpful psychologically. A high carb day for me would be extra sweet potatoes and end up around 150g. According to a BF scale, I'm at 19% body fat down from originally around 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by mgage View Post
    I never kick my heels up, at least not for the past 6 months, but maybe a bit of that would be helpful psychologically. A high carb day for me would be extra sweet potatoes and end up around 150g. According to a BF scale, I'm at 19% body fat down from originally around 30%.
    Okay I see. I'd probably have you do one of two things:

1) Add a somewhat paleo friendly carb like white rice/corn/white potatoes and try to do ~250-300g of carbs 1x per week. Lower the fat a protein just a tick these days.

2) Go out and kick your heels up with a gluten free pizza and desert or something 1x a week. Here are the rules: a) you can't go out to dinner by yourself b) you can't pick it up to go or take home left overs, i.e. it has to stay there with you, c) you have a 2 hour window for this to go down. No 6 hour long binge fests.

That sounds good to me. Thanks or the advice.