starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Diet

Default Starting Strength Diet

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

A friend of mine got me into SS. I'm a newbie lifter. Age 27, 6'0" 200lbs, a little chubby, but not obese. I am thinking of using this diet and would like some feedback as to

1. Is this healthy?
    2. Is this enough food?
    3. Can you recommend alternatives for variety?

0530 25G Whey in Skim milk
    0600 Lift
    0730 25G Whey + 4 eggs + 4 strips Turkey bacon + 1 cup of slow oats (with apple, cinn, etc)
    1200 Foreman grill chicken + 1/2 Yam + 1 glass of juiced kale, carrots, apple & ginger
    0500 25G Whey
    0600 2 Tilapia filets + another juice + 1/2 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by tesseract View Post

1. Is this healthy?
    2. Is this enough food?
    3. Can you recommend alternatives for variety?
    1) Looks fine to me. I'm not a big fan of juiced veggies, but it won't kill you.
    2) Maybe initially, but I'd like to see you add another 25g of whey at 0500 + 1/2 C of oats, and then add milk as you can without getting fat (maybe 1-2 glasses at a time).
    3) Sure.

Protein: lean meats (all), fat free cottage cheese, greek yogurt, pork loin, sausage (chicken, turkey, etc), milk, whey, protein supps, jerky, deer, mahi-mahi, swordfish, tuna, etc.

carbs- potatoes, rice, oats, beans, fruit, veggies, carb supplements

fats- nuts, nut butters, oils, avocado

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I'm not a big fan of juiced veggies, but it won't kill you.
    If I could butt in with a quick question.....What about veggies not run through a juicer, but through a Vita Mix? (Leaving all the pulp in the final product.)

Here's the thing with either, you have the potential to put down pounds of vegetables at once instead of the normal 1-3 servings. In addition, the vegetable is processed and doesn't do some of the cool stuff we want it to do, like provide satiety signals. You'll still get all the fiber, minerals, etc., but seriously, does anyone think it's healthy to eat 3 pounds of spinach at one sitting? Someone with a history of kidney stones wouldn't for sure. I guess, in short, I just don't get the why behind it. If it makes you happy and you don't have a history of stones, knock yourself out.

Thank you for the responses! The alternatives are great.

I'll try and add extra Whey, that would make for 75G Whey per day in skim milk.

Also, thank you for the note regarding Kale and kidney stones. Kale is really healthy for you, so I am wondering what a good alternate might be...if someone knows.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    If I could butt in with a quick question.....What about veggies not run through a juicer, but through a Vita Mix? (Leaving all the pulp in the final product.)

That sounds like a good idea. Sounds like you would feel fuller faster. Maybe later we will get one as we spent a bunch of money on the one we have now.

Also, thank you for the note regarding Kale and kidney stones. Kale is really healthy for you, so I am wondering what a good alternate might be...if someone knows
    Just skip em.

If you can stomach it, beef liver is a good substitute for kale.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Just skip em.
    OK. Thank you for all the other alternatives. I'll probably stop juicing or just every once in a while. In coming up with this diet I was following (roughly) Rippetoe's diet on the Q&A section. Where he had Veggies, I put juicing. I'll probably just get some steamables for the microwave. That shouldn't mess me up too much

starting strength coach development program
    OK. Thank you for all the other alternatives. I'll probably stop juicing or just every once in a while. In coming up with this diet I was following (roughly) Rippetoe's diet on the Q&A section. Where he had Veggies, I put juicing. I'll probably just get some steamables for the microwave. That shouldn't mess me up too much
    If not for steamables I might not get my veggies at all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast