starting strength gym

Thread: Why should the kids have all the fun?

Default Why should the kids have all the fun?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The strongest guy in our gym (I've seen him pop off 10 reps on the bench with 405 pounds like it was a warm-up), was working on the Hammer Lat machine.

See: http://www.lifefitness.com/commercia...ralrowing.html

He was just finishing and I asked, "You done?"

He said "Yeah".

He was about to strip off the weights and said, "What do you want on?"

I said, "Leave it." (He had four 45 pounders on each side and he was working sets of 10.)

His look at me said, "Yeah, right!"

I then ripped off 10 reps on the first set. (My subsequent sets went down in reps and my final set was just 6 reps.)

He walked away amazed. I think my bald head and white beard make me look older than my 64 years, but he was a 20 something and I think I got him depressed. He should be a lot stronger than an old, bald guy with a white beard.

It was kinda fun.

Love this story. The young guys do tend to take on that somewhat sad, chastened mein when they find the old guys are either capable of keeping up with them or exceeding their own exploits.

I haven't used that machine in some time but it is a great one. The high row version of this is good too. Wish I could say the same of their pressing equipment, but those machines used to produce tendinitis in my elbows. I've used 400+ on the low row myself but not for sets of 10. More like sets of 3-5.

In full disclosure, both the youngun and I perform this one arm at a time. I feel that I can get a fuller range of motion doing so.

I don't know his feeling as he was not too talkative...

Smile

He's been glaring at me. I'm up to 410 pounds (just 7 reps), but still more weight than he has been using. And his girlfriend was there. I guess he will have to increase his poundage on his next workout.

There's nothin' like taunting the young primates without overtly doing so. Simply by showing up and hauling ass.

I personally like seeing it, makes me feel weak but at the same time want to get stronger , so I can fucking be that old man benching/squatting/pulling huge weights

same thing when I see chicks lifting me than, makes want to get stronger so I don't look weak

I think you are actually pretty strong. They had one of those at my old gym. 8x45lb on it is serious business.

I can barbell row 225lb but dont remember managing more than 4x45lb on it.

Only the "big guys" like the resident weightlifter who can C&J 405lb+ could move those weights.

You can probably do more pullups than him too, that's my fav. Nobody does pullups in those gyms

starting strength coach development program
    Update: I am up to 450 for sets of 7 reps. The goal is to get to 10 reps. It does not seem like the machine can take more the 10 plates without some sort of extension for the bar. So that might be the limit for this machine.

There is only one other member of the gym working with that much weight but he is only doing 5 reps. But he is only about 30, so he has 34 years to catch up.