starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SS on paleo diet

Default SS on paleo diet

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Jordan,

Thanks a lot for answering our questions.

I started SS a week ago and I'm very motivated. I’m 5,8 weight 160 pounds,

Here’s my paleo diet most days :

0.5 pound of vegetables a day (mostly from frozen packs of mix peas, carrots, corn, peas, green peas, and sometimes broccoli, lettuce…)
    100 grams of nuts (640 calories) or peanut butter
    6 eggs cooked with olive oil (600 calories)
    1 pound of meat (chicken, beef, pork, tuna, salmon…) (2000 to 3000 calories)
    Some sweet potatoes and some forbidden stuff like cheese and yogurt
    Total : 3000 to 4000 Calories

My questions are 1- Is this a good diet

2- Do I need to eat that much meat and eggs, because it gets expensive, and hard to digest in the long run.

Thanks a lot

I'm not sure exactly how you're coming up with your numbers but the only things that look accurate are the nuts/nut butter, and 6 eggs. 1lb of chicken is like 440kCal and 93/7 beef is 680 kCal. That being said, I'd double your intake of meat and veggies or add a gallon of whole milk a day to your diet.

Also, it's actually really easy to digest and absorb meats/proteins. We humans, as it turns out, are really good at it.

Yes I meant 1 kg of meat, so it's more like 2.2 pounds. Mostly chicken and lean meat, sometimes fish, and I try to make it worth 2000 to 3000 calories a day.

Thank you for your advice, I'll eat more vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by ABCD View Post
    Yes I meant 1 kg of meat, so it's more like 2.2 pounds. Mostly chicken and lean meat, sometimes fish, and I try to make it worth 2000 to 3000 calories a day.

Ah....1kg is more like it. In that case, I'd probably add either more potatoes, raw dairy, and some rice too.

I still don't think you are eating as much as you think you are. As Jordan said - 1lb of chicken is 440 calories and the same amount of beef is 680, if it is a really fatty piece of beef it may stretch up to 1000 cal. That would put you at MAX for the day 2000 calories if you ate two fatty sources of protein, but as you have stated you are having chicken, lean meat and fish, so therefore your caloric intake is probably closer to 1000 calories, NOT 3000, and unlikely 2000 (talking about meat consumption only).

Unless you are cooking the chicken in coconut oil or some other dense fat, I would add the milk like Jordan said. Thoughts? Am I wrong?

I feel ya on the cost of all the protein though! I think my food costs doubled when I started eating serious amounts of protein.

Quote Originally Posted by hellca View Post

Unless you are cooking the chicken in coconut oil or some other dense fat, I would add the milk like Jordan said. Thoughts? Am I wrong?
    People inaccurately report their intake almost 95% of the time unless they're weighing/measuring and using verified resources for their recording information. This is one of the reasons that nutritional science is so weak with human subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Ah....1kg is more like it. In that case, I'd probably add either more potatoes, raw dairy, and some rice too.
    Thank you for your answer. Is there any truth to carb pre and post work out, or can I just eat it whenever I can? Lately I'm having potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Thank you for your answer. Is there any truth to carb pre and post work out, or can I just eat it whenever I can? Lately I'm having potatoes and sweet potatoes.
    There's a lot of truth to the carbs pre and post workout for performance, muscle growth, etc. I typically recommend having the bulk of your carbs around the workout time and then if your individual carb requirements warrant additional carb intake, then get a good dose at breakfast and split the rest up evenly.

Today I ate a big potatoe before and after the workout. I felt I had more energy and was more focused. Thank you. What about the days I don't work out, do I need carbs or can I just eat a bunch of veggies?

starting strength coach development program
    For you....yes you need carbs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast