starting strength gym

Thread: Another $#^% macro thread

Default Another $#^% macro thread

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Embarassed to ask, but I've been trying to titrate out your recommendations for macros based on size and estimated bodyfat, and haven't managed it. I'm currently on something close to a Keto diet, which I'm coming off in 2 weeks time. When I started the cut I was 192; based on my loss rate over the last 4 weeks, I'll probably be 175-177 when I stop the keto thing and transition into the diet to go forwards. I estimate I started the cut somewhere between 20-25% BF.

Current lifts: squat 5X3 @ 315, press 5X3 @ 120, deadlift 1X5 @ 405, bench 5X3 @ 190. These lifts are each down a bit from December, but not much. I lift on a 4 days/week pattern (Press Mon, Deadlift Tues, Bench Thurs, Squat Fri) with 2-3 assistance movements after the main lifts.

Goals: weekly progress on the main lifts, holding something like 15% BF. I really don't care much if I gain size or maintain, so long as the lifts progress. I also do karate Mon/Wed in classes that last about 75 minutes, and need enough energy for that.

Main protein sources have been eggs, turkey, ham, beef, cheese, and protein isolate shakes when needed. I've just signed up for MyFitnessPal, and am willing to track and count, though it's a pain in the ass.

What macro levels would you suggest ... and so I don't bother you with more assinine questions in a month or two ... how would you go about tweaking if my bodyweight goes up or down 5 pounds or so, but the bodyfat level was still acceptable?

Thanks!

No worries man, I actually like to geek out on nutrition (especially macros) but shhhh, don't tell Rip.

Are you planning on staying with a keto style diet or transition off of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    No worries man, I actually like to geek out on nutrition (especially macros) but shhhh, don't tell Rip.

Are you planning on staying with a keto style diet or transition off of it?
    To my chagrin, I've found that my energy levels are much steadier on this low-carb higher-protein/fat thing, to the point that it seems I've been dealing with real insulin dumps previously. I'd no idea how much better I'd feel - and how much clearer my mind would be - by going largely off carbs. Even though at the same time it's sucked. Eating keto has played hell with being part of family meals, but I think I should keep carbs low for breakfast/lunch to maximise the mental clarity benefits, and eat a more "normal" diet at dinnertime.

While I did the keto thing to speed body composition changes after simply eating my way through linear progression over the Fall (training again after a layoff), I don't have much bodyfat left that I really feel driven to lose. I'm 5'9" and 180-ish (today), and while I could probably find my abs under another 10 pounds, I could equally just stay this size or grow some more. The body re-comp should take care of itself more gradually, if I just pay attention. The 4 weeks I've been on this thing I've at least not lost significant strength gains - which is good, because my strength goals for the year are fairly ambitious. If I need to get fluffy again to get them, I'm happy to schedule in another focused diet period somewhere a number of months down the road.

I think the best route for you at this point is to slowly add carbs in around your training and leave the rest alone besides BCAAs. If you start doing 25-30g of bcaa's/day and add 25g of carbs around your workout week 1, then I'd increase carbs by another 25g for week 2, and then start adding fat and carbs together (15g CHO and 5g fat) as your bodyweight increases slowly. On weeks you gain over a pound, I'd hold steady on the macros before adding more fuel. You should be around 200-225g protein before BCAA's as well.

I think the best route for you at this point is to slowly add carbs in around your training and leave the rest alone besides BCAAs. If you start doing 25-30g of bcaa's/day and add 25g of carbs around your workout week 1, then I'd increase carbs by another 25g for week 2, and then start adding fat and carbs together (15g CHO and 5g fat) as your bodyweight increases slowly. On weeks you gain over a pound, I'd hold steady on the macros before adding more fuel. You should be around 200-225g protein before BCAA's as well.
    Thanks. Will introduce that once the due date comes. And the totals in calories should sum to roughly what, once the protein's been spoken for and the carbs gradually introduced? Trying to sort out the room I need to fill up with fat.

Hijacking the thread here, but what kind of bw progress would you like to see in an intermediate trainee? I know it depends on a lot of factors, but let's just shoot for an average bw gain in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Thanks. Will introduce that once the due date comes. And the totals in calories should sum to roughly what, once the protein's been spoken for and the carbs gradually introduced? Trying to sort out the room I need to fill up with fat.
    Totally depends. This is something you'll have to play around with as you go to see how quickly you can add calories. In general, I'd like to see you get to about 150-200g of carbs/day and then just start adding fat only if you're trying to stay mostly low carb otherwise. Calories increase by about 100-200 per week as your bodyweight demands.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    Hijacking the thread here, but what kind of bw progress would you like to see in an intermediate trainee? I know it depends on a lot of factors, but let's just shoot for an average bw gain in a month.
    In general, about 2-3lbs.

starting strength coach development program
    Very helpful. Thanks!