starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little guidance

Post A little guidance

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Curious about your recommended macros for me. Here is some information that maybe useful.

Height: 5' 6" Wt: 150 BF:10-12%

BS: (PR 300x1)
    DL: (PR 365x2)
    Press: (125x3)
    BP: (185x5)

Follow a M, W, F protocol. I currently cycle carbs (a whack of carbs from roots, tubers, and the like on workout days; veggies and protein on non-workout days)

Currently my macros on w/o days is ~170p/253c/30-50f, non-w/o ~170/60-80c/100f. (macros listed in grams). This appears to be working great for me at the moment, just wanted to bounce it your way to get your perspective.

I'd slowly start to add some fuel, first in the way of extra protein and then add carbs/fat. Something like add 25g of protein and hold everything steady for a week and see what happens. If you gain < 2lbs, add another 10g of protein, 15g of carbs, 3g of fat to all days. Then keep reassessing every 2 weeks. If powerlifting or strength aspirations are in your future, then I think you'd be a good 165'er in 3-6 months, and a solid 181 within a year. Of course you could take another approach and throw GOMAD on top of what you're doing, get up to 200 or so and get really strong quickly, then cut to 181 or so.

Thanks for the info...I, like you, are fascinated with the aspects of nutrition and how the foods we eat affect the body (performance, health, etc.). I think I will pass on the GOMAD and stick to the suggestion you provided with tweaking the macros to achieve some strength goals I have. Thanks again!!

I train on an empty stomach. Prior to the training session I usually just have a strong cup of joe. After the session I do not have a post workout until about 2hrs after the session so I take 10g of BCAA's about an hour after the session to keep the protein synthesis thing going.

I know some suggest taking BCAA's pre-workout and post workout if the post workout meal is delayed. I get the post workout BCAA recommendation considering the delay of the meal, but in your opinion, is the pre-workout BCAA any more helpful than the coffee in terms of providing a stimulus for the workout? I know the BCAA will aid in protein synthesis (coffee to my knowledge will not) , but is leaving them (BCAAs) out pre-workout really effecting things when you look at the big picture and the fact that you are loading up with them post workout?

It's just adding protein to the system overall, but you're not going to be anabolic while you train, ever. If I couldn't get a PWO meal for 2 hours in, I'd do BCAAs + waxy maize and oats or similar carb immediately post training and then just eat 2 hours later.

Do you think good nutrition can reduce the negative effects poor sleep has on training? Sleep is critical to the recovery process, but so is replenishing the body with the proper nutrients. The ideal situation is to have both in line, but in the event that sleep quailty in not optimal I would assume the nutrition needs to be spot on. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by MoHendo View Post
    Do you think good nutrition can reduce the negative effects poor sleep has on training?
    What do you mean by "good"? If you mean hitting the macros that are appropriate for you then yes, of course they can reduce the negative affects. They won't completely mitigate them though.

Yes...hitting your macros is what I meant by good.

Quote Originally Posted by MoHendo View Post
    Yes...hitting your macros is what I meant by good.

Good. Natural calm is good too in these situations.

starting strength coach development program
    I haven't tried Natural Calm, but have been taking a magnesium supplement. I might have to check out the Natural Calm stuff. I have a new addition to the fam... so sleep is a challenge sometimes (well let me caveat that and say conitnuous sleep).

Strength gains have continued, I just have been trying to make sure that I am meeting macros to continue to progress despite the interrupted sleep.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast