starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength is totally possible on a vegetarian diet

Default Starting Strength is totally possible on a vegetarian diet

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Can Starting Strength be successful with a 100% vegetarian diet?

Many on this forum would tell you that it cannot, while I'm here to tell you that it's totally possible. I eat a plant-based diet, supplemented with small amounts of egg/dairy (mostly in the form of cheese, which I'm completely addicted to). I've been making excellent gains with the program over the past 6 weeks, and would love to share some of my progress in case there are any vegetarians out there who feel discouraged.

Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 172-176lbs

PROGRESS OVER FIRST SIX WEEKS (All weights listed in pounds 3x5 form)

Squat: 155-210
    Bench: 130-145 (corrected my form over past two work outs, expecting bigger gains)
    Press: 85-100
    Deadlift: 185-240
    Power Clean:85-110

I'm not making any incredible progress, but for 6 weeks it appears my gains are about on track with all the meat-eaters doing the program.

Here's an example of my caloric intake from yesterday, so you can get an idea of what my diet is like:

Breakfast:

*Garden of life Raw Protein shake
    *Sweet Potato Pancakes (Hemp protein, buckwheat flour, flax, water, vanilla stevia)
    *Cameo Apple

Lunch:

*Soy Yogurt
    *Indian Paneer/Lentil Microwavable meal
    *Vegetarian Glutamine/Creatine
    *Protein shake: Garden of life raw protein powder, almond milk, chlorella, stevia

Dinner:

*Roasted Veggies, Quinoa, Tempeh, Indian Curry Sauce
    *Flax Pumpkin Seed cereal in Almond milk. Added cashews/sunflower seeds
    *Microwavable veggie Lasagna
    *Veggie burger with Kimchi, fried egg, and cheese

Snacks:

*Flying Dog's Raging Bitch Beer
    *Sante Fe Salsa Sunflower seed snacks
    *Chia Seeds mixed with Ultima electrolyte drink

Total Calories: 3400

Fat: 103g
    Carbs: 406g
    Protein: 201g

The protein powder that I use is mix of over a dozen sprouted grains/seeds, which combine to form an impressive amino acid profile, very similar to that of whey.

I'm not trying to convince anyone on this forum that a vegetarian diet is a "better" diet. I'm just trying to let those interested know that it's possible to be successful without eating meat. I'll make sure to keep everyone updated with my progress.

Quote Originally Posted by hammock23 View Post
    Can Starting Strength be successful with a 100% vegetarian diet?

Many on this forum would tell you that it cannot, while I'm here to tell you that it's totally possible. I eat a plant-based diet, supplemented with small amounts of egg/dairy (mostly in the form of cheese, which I'm completely addicted to). I've been making excellent gains with the program over the past 6 weeks, and would love to share some of my progress in case there are any vegetarians out there who feel discouraged.

Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 172-176lbs

PROGRESS OVER FIRST SIX WEEKS (All weights listed in pounds 3x5 form)

Squat: 155-210
    Bench: 130-145 (corrected my form over past two work outs, expecting bigger gains)
    Press: 85-100
    Deadlift: 185-240
    Power Clean:85-110

I'm not making any incredible progress, but for 6 weeks it appears my gains are about on track with all the meat-eaters doing the program.
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you did come on the board talking about vegetarian diets soooo....

In 18 sessions you've managed to add an average of 3lbs per session to your squat and deadlift, less than 1lb to your bench, press and power clean while gaining 4lbs at the ripe age of 25 years old. Let me be crystal clear, in this age demographic (barring some sort of endocrinology or psychological problem) your gains are less than half of what I've seen with my clients and friends. Is this due to your vegetarian diet, form, mind set, or something else? I'm not sure, but here's what I can tell you...

You have about an 80% chance of being b12 deficient, having high homocysteine levels, and suffering from slowed progress whilst strength training. I'll just go ahead and say this, a vegetarian diet cannot be optimal (even when supplemented), is not what we were designed to eat, and does not save animals/biomass from destruction (in fact it increases it). I don't particularly care if you do a vegetarian diet and do SS, that's cool man, do what you gotta do. I just don't want others to come on the board and think vegetarianism is a viable dietary option for standard run of the mill folks.
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 01-30-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Just so everyone knows, you can shave your head with a straight razor while riding a unicycle, naked. I know a lot of people think it can't be done, but I just want to point out that it's entirely possible.

Should have included everything about the last six weeks. Spent the past hour copying this from my notebook. I've worked out 12 times since I began "Starting Strength", which is more like 4 weeks. Sorry for any confusion. As far as Vitamin b12 goes, I'm not deficient. I take a multivitamin, and use a hefty amount of nutritional yeast which contains a large amount of the vitamin.

Week One:

M 12/19 Squat: 155, Bench 130, DL 195

W 12/21 Squat 165, Press 85, PC 85

F 12/23 Squat 175 Bench 135, DL 210

12/24-12/28 Out of town for Xmas, no gym access

Week 3

M 12/31 Squat: 175, Bench 135, DL 210

W 1/2 Squat 185, Press 95, PC 95

F 1/4 Squat 195, Bench, 140 (failed on 4th rep 3rd set) DL 225

Week Four

M 1/7 Squat: 195 (Fail on 4th rep of second set), Bench 140 (failed on 5th rep of 3rd set) Press 100 (failed on 5th rep of third set) <--terrible day

W 1/9 Squat 205, Press 100, PC 105

F 1/11 Backpacking trip in Linville Gorge through Sunday

Week 5:

M 1/14 Sick from backpacking trip

W 1/16 Sick

F 1/18 Sick

Week 6:

M 1/21 Squat 205, Press 100, PC 105

W 1/23 Squat 215(fail), Bench, 140, DL 235

F 1/25 Squat 215 (fail), Press 105 (failed on 5th rep of last set)

Week 7:

M 1/28Squat 210, Bench 145 (failed on last rep of 3rd set) , DL 255,

W 1/30 Squat 215, Press 105, PC 120

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you did come on the board talking about vegetarian diets soooo....

In 18 sessions you've managed to add an average of 3lbs per session to your squat and deadlift
    Even if I hadn't have missed the 6 sessions, your math on the deadlift would be completely off. While my squat would have gone up 3lbs/workout, my deadlift would have gone up at least twice as much per session, seeing as I only deadlift 50% of the workouts.

Should have included everything about the last six weeks. Spent the past hour copying this from my notebook. I've worked out 12 times since I began "Starting Strength", which is more like 4 weeks. Sorry for any confusion. As far as Vitamin b12 goes, I'm not deficient. I take a multivitamin, and use a hefty amount of nutritional yeast which contains a large amount of the vitamin.
    Did you correct it for a high folate intake, which makes it worse? Have you been tested? How about zinc, iodine, vitamin D, b6 and omega 3 (EPA/DHA, which hopefully you know that flax's conversion to EPA/DHA is extremely poor in humans)? How long have you been vegetarian my friend?

Even if I hadn't have missed the 6 sessions, your math on the deadlift would be completely off. While my squat would have gone up 3lbs/workout, my deadlift would have gone up at least twice as much per session, seeing as I only deadlift 50% of the workouts.
    So you've deadlifted 6 times and added 55lbs to your pull (<10lbs per session). In 6 weeks my non-genetically gifted friend whom I showed the lifts to 1x increased his deadlift 185lbs for a set of 5 after starting with sciatica and pulling only 1x per week. You've failed on 8 sets and you're not even 2 months into the program. This is not good unless you were already a more advanced lifter.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean to you, but you must understand that you are putting yourself behind the 8 ball with regards to your recovery and gains.

In 6 weeks my non-genetically gifted friend whom I showed the lifts to 1x increased his deadlift 185lbs for a set of 5 after starting with sciatica and pulling only 1x per week.
    Dude sounds like a total stud. What his diet like?

Did you correct it for a high folate intake, which makes it worse? Have you been tested? How about zinc, iodine, vitamin D, b6 and omega 3 (EPA/DHA, which hopefully you know that flax's conversion to EPA/DHA is extremely poor in humans)? How long have you been vegetarian my friend?
    I get around 3/4 of my RDA of Zinc from the half ounce of Chlorella powder I take http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/569428/2

There are a lot of other plant sources of Zinc that I eat on a regular basis: sunflower seeds, peanut butter, oatmeal, etc. My multivitamin takes care of the rest of it.

I do realize that Flax's conversion rate is pretty poor, but I eat such a large amount of Chia/Flax/Hemp seeds, that I'm pretty sure my Omegas are in check.

As for vitamin D: I get plenty from the sun while backpacking. One tablespoon of dulse flakes has 3x the RDA of iodine.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by grant.meeker View Post
    Dude sounds like a total stud. What his diet like?
    Grass fed children.

I get around 3/4 of my RDA of Zinc from the half ounce of Chlorella powder I take http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/569428/2

There are a lot of other plant sources of Zinc that I eat on a regular basis: sunflower seeds, peanut butter, oatmeal, etc. My multivitamin takes care of the rest of it.

I do realize that Flax's conversion rate is pretty poor, but I eat such a large amount of Chia/Flax/Hemp seeds, that I'm pretty sure my Omegas are in check.
    Yes but the bioavailability of the nutrients you're taking in, supplement or not, are so damn low I'd highly doubt your not deficient in one or more of the classic vegetarian presentations. At any rate, you seem pretty die hard about being a vegetarian, so go for gold man, more meat for me. Whenever you're ready to take the next step we'll be here to help!
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 01-30-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast