starting strength gym

Thread: High intensity interval training ratios, timing and post workout nutrition.

Default High intensity interval training ratios, timing and post workout nutrition.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just seeing if I'm on the right track here. I've recently started morning HIIT on off days, using a stationary bike 20s work 140s rest. Shortly afterwards I'll have a WPC + coconut oil (15g of each) shake mixed in water. Goal is fat loss and improved general conditioning.

So my (three part) question is basically: Is morning HIIT ok? If nothing else, I've previously found this made compliance much easier.

How's the post workout shake? I'm not completely sure about fasted HIIT - part of me wants that shake beforehand.

And should I reduce my rest intervals? This last has me the most confused.

I've seen recommendations ranging from a 1:1 work:rest ratio (2:1 in the case of tabatas) up to 1:7

Obviously the longer the rest, the more recovered I'll be for the next work interval .. but as I understand it, being less than fully recovered is desirable.

Should I perhaps reduce the rest intervals over time as a form of progression? Or is it better to progress by adding intervals and finding a ratio I should stick with? An "ideal" ratio so to speak? (Oooh, I know! Maybe I should try 1:1.618!)

I'd keep work to rest rations in the 1:3-1:5 ratio, with more towards the 1:5 if you really press me unless you're an endurance athlete. For strength/power/aesthetics, you want super high intensity work bouts, which have to be about 20s or less and enough recovery to actually go hard again the next time, e.g. less than somewhat complete recovery is not desirable in my opinion (unless you're an endurance athlete).

I'd remove the coconut oil out of the shake and use put most of your carbs around the session. I'd add days up to 4x a week before adding additional intervals.