starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BCAA's

Default BCAA's

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan,

Love the Q&A here. I'm not a big science guy when it comes to diet, so feel free to dumb down your answers for me and I'll trust you on the science behind it.

Anyway, I am currently 6'3" and around 206 pounds at approximately 14-15% BF and trying to bulk up to the 215-220 range in the next 4 months or so, after which I'll re-evaluate what I want to do from there. My recent 1 rep maxes were 330/330/440/205 for S/B/D/P.

My current diet is usually 3 shakes and 2 meals daily. The shakes I make are with Optimum Nutrition whey (3 scoops), plus 16 oz of Whole Milk and about a tbsp and a half of olive oil. So each shake is about 88g of protein and 800-850 calories. So on the days I drink 3 of them, I am getting about 264g of protein from the shakes, plus whatever I eat in my 2 meals (usually another 1200-1500 cals and another 40-60g protein daily). So I usually end up around 3700-400 calories and 300-320g protein daily.

So my question is this: I see you recommending BCAA's to a lot of people as a supplement. Would you think they are necessary for me as well, even with my relatively high protein intake, and with a lot of it coming from whey? If you still think I should take BCAA's, how much would you recommend taking, and what "brand" or whatever?

Thanks a lot,
    Bob

Couple of things before I respond:

1) How old are you (it matters)?

2) Anyway we could divvy up the food a bit differently or are the 3 big shakes + 2 meals the only way to fly for you right now?

3) Saw you were from Philly, what should I get at the Reading Terminal Market for lunch today? Thinking DeNic's or heading to the Old Italian Market for Paesono's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    3) Saw you were from Philly, what should I get at the Reading Terminal Market for lunch today? Thinking DeNic's or heading to the Old Italian Market for Paesono's.
    I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but PAE-FUCKING-SANO'S. Best sandwiches in the world. Bobby can chime in too, I know he knows his food in Philly. Sorry for the ex-foodie-driven spaz-out.

EDIT: The terminal is good for snack foods(soft pretzels, cured meets, cheeses, cannolis) and things to cook(sausage and fish galore), but I think it's overrated for lunch a little bit. DiNic's is pretty good, but not what Adam Richman says it is. If you're in the area, it's worth a stop to check out and maybe pick up some shit for the road, but I'm not sure how much time you have/what your plans are.
    Last edited by tzanghi; 02-02-2013 at 09:10 AM.

The food intake as is works pretty well for me with my work schedule. It's typically: shake at 7:30AM, lunch at 1PM, shake at 3:30PM, workout from 6-7pm (4 days a week), gatorade immediately after workout, dinner at 8pm, shake at 10PM.

I was just reading your "adding supplements" thread. I'm guessing pulsing BCAAs at around 10:30AM and then again with my gatorade postworkout could work? I also take 5g of creatine per day in my 7:30 AM shake.

Shit, I actually don't get to the terminal that often. I work downtown but it's just far enough away to make it a no-go for lunch. Ask Tzanghi. He definitely knows the terminal better than I do. What are you in Philly for?

Quote Originally Posted by tzanghi View Post
    I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but PAE-FUCKING-SANO'S. Best sandwiches in the world. Bobby can chime in too, I know he knows his food in Philly. Sorry for the ex-foodie-driven spaz-out.
    I do love paesano's. Gonna hit it up this afternoon.

Your BCAA protocol looks good to me (1030am and PWO). I'd take another 5g of BCAA before your workout too.

I'm in town just to hang out!

I was actually just going to ask this, but ON whey protein advertises the ~5g bcaas per serving. Is this genuine and satisfactory in the amounts of each? or do you typically prefer getting bcaas from an isolated source? If so, why?

Thanks.

Perfect thanks.

Other lunch ideas.... Shake shack at 20th and Sansom or Steve's Prince of Steaks at 7200 Buslteton ave. That is in the Northeast (about 15 minutes up 95 from downtown) so you'll need a car to go there, but its worth it. If you make that trip, either get pepperoni on the steak or double meat though to make it filling enough.

Quote Originally Posted by rational View Post
    I was actually just going to ask this, but ON whey protein advertises the ~5g bcaas per serving. Is this genuine and satisfactory in the amounts of each? or do you typically prefer getting bcaas from an isolated source? If so, why?

Thanks.
    As far as I know, they're listing the BCAA content (isoleucine, valine, leucine) in their protein, not that they're added to the protein supplement. If this is the case, I still prefer the free form BCAAs in the form of a powder, as they influence plasma values of amino acids to a much greater degree, quicker, and are preferentially used by the skeletal muscle vs the di and tri peptides in a whey or similar supplement.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Perfect thanks.

Other lunch ideas.... Shake shack at 20th and Sansom or Steve's Prince of Steaks at 7200 Buslteton ave. That is in the Northeast (about 15 minutes up 95 from downtown) so you'll need a car to go there, but its worth it. If you make that trip, either get pepperoni on the steak or double meat though to make it filling enough.
    Went to Nomad's pizza last night and walked by a Steve's steaks (South st and 7th). Maybe I'll check it out, but I've gotta keep it in my macros as the Arnold is fast approaching. I appreciate the rec tho.

Quote Originally Posted by rational View Post

Thanks.
    Jordan, correct me if I messed this up.

There's a difference between ingesting BCAAs via the aminos in whey and instantized BCAAs. It will take a while to breakdown the BCAAs in whey, and therefore the leucine signal for m-Tor/muscle growth won't be as strong or quick and there won't be an instant burst of plasma amino acids to use for protein synthesis. Whereas, if you take instantized BCAA supplements, then the aminos are absorbed quickly into the blood stream with a resulting quick and strong increase in the opening of the m-Tor pathway, and plasma amino acid levels will spike allowing for quick use of aminos for building muscle.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tzanghi View Post
    Jordan, correct me if I messed this up.

There's a difference between ingesting BCAAs via the aminos in whey and instantized BCAAs. It will take a while to breakdown the BCAAs in whey, and therefore the leucine signal for m-Tor/muscle growth won't be as strong or quick and there won't be an instant burst of plasma amino acids to use for protein synthesis. Whereas, if you take instantized BCAA supplements, then the aminos are absorbed quickly into the blood stream with a resulting quick and strong increase in the opening of the m-Tor pathway, and plasma amino acid levels will spike allowing for quick use of aminos for building muscle.

Yes, see above. However, it's not all about leucine, as this depletes plasma valine and isoleucine hampering growth signaling if these levels fall too low.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast