starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My mom (age 70) has just started SS

Default My mom (age 70) has just started SS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    She's even ordered the book. I've got her going every third day for now. She bought a 15lb bar and a couple of 10lb bumpers so she can start everything light.

This pleases me greatly. Wish I could get my dad to do it.

That's great! I try to get my parents to train for the last two years, but they don't seem to care about their loss of mobility, endurance and strength.
    What do you guys do that convinces your parents to change their eating or start to train?

Quote Originally Posted by D.W. View Post
    That's great! I try to get my parents to train for the last two years, but they don't seem to care about their loss of mobility, endurance and strength.
    What do you guys do that convinces your parents to change their eating or start to train?
    My mom has always lifted weights in some form or other, as long as I can remember. It's just been nautilus or bowflex or something else less than optimal. My dad, on the other hand, hasn't done anything since the army. Alas. So I'm not really changing habits, just making them more efficient.

It's still really cool. I do recommend getting a light bar. My mother has good joints and mobility, but even so, a 15lb squat was her starting work set.

Before your Mom goes any further, I would recommend that she get some bone density study done. Just as a precaution.

buzzkill chessguy.
    That's great OP, with any luck your Dad will see the impressive gains by your Mom and change his mind. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by partyb View Post
    buzzkill chessguy.
    That's great OP, with any luck your Dad will see the impressive gains by your Mom and change his mind. Good luck.
    It's ok. I asked her about bonescans. Every two years, everything's fine. We're good thick peasant stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    It's ok. I asked her about bonescans. Every two years, everything's fine. We're good thick peasant stock.
    Glad to hear that. Hope she continues to progress. I would suggest using a trap bar. I love those things.

I wonder if you will teach her to Valsalva? I am not sure if it is a good idea in a geriatric population.

Why aren't you sure, Whitespadeswag? She has no blood pressure issues, and already uses it when she lifts the 40lb bags of salt into the softener, and probably during her golf swing.

starting strength coach development program
    Holding one's breath white lifting causes a dramatic increase in blood pressure followed by a sudden drop in this pressure after exhalation, so it is definitely not advisable for everyone, particularly older folks or those with cardiovascular disease.

I might add that playing golf and barbell training are two very different hobbies.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast