starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't seem to find the middle ground

Question Can't seem to find the middle ground

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan,
    I want to start by saying that I've searched the forum, but I haven't found anyone that totally matches my situation, plus I imagine nutrition is rather specific.

I started out doing the program eating ~3,800 calories, but I found my deadlift stalled after a few weeks, so I bumped my caloric intake to 4,100 calories and my form deteriorated at 250lbs on my squat

As of late, I've been eating 5,000 calories and seem to be hitting my lifts; however, I seem to be putting fat on. I'm curious as to what you think my caloric intake/macros should be in order to maximize my gains, and lose the fat I've put on.

Weight:
    I started out doing the program at 240lbs at ~20% bodyfat @ 6'3, as of today I weigh 275lbs @ ~25% bodyfat

My lifts:
    Squat: 185lb(reset from 250lb due to form deterioration)
    Deadlift: 340lb
    Bench: 210lb
    Snatch: 115lb
    Chins: 2x10 previously, but I've seemed to have lost the strength to continue progressing toward full sets of these since I've put weight on.

Thanks for your time.

Just off the cuff before I start talking about calories, I think it's prudent for you to get with a coach because there's no way a guy of your proportions should be stalling where you are unless your form is pretty bad. Find an SS coach in the directory to nip this in the bud or no amount of food will help.

At any rate, how are you tracking your food? If you bumped up to 4100kCal, then your squat deteriorated so you reset, why did you increase to 5000kCal? Also, do you know what your macros (pro/carb/fat) are at? Are you doing GOMAD?

I don't think you need to weigh/measure your food, but I do think you need to get with a coach ASAP. Give me a more accurate ballpark of your current intake so I can go from there.

Just off the cuff before I start talking about calories, I think it's prudent for you to get with a coach because there's no way a guy of your proportions should be stalling where you are unless your form is pretty bad. Find an SS coach in the directory to nip this in the bud or no amount of food will help.

At any rate, how are you tracking your food? If you bumped up to 4100kCal, then your squat deteriorated so you reset, why did you increase to 5000kCal? Also, do you know what your macros (pro/carb/fat) are at? Are you doing GOMAD?

I don't think you need to weigh/measure your food, but I do think you need to get with a coach ASAP. Give me a more accurate ballpark of your current intake so I can go from there.

Default Can't seem to find the middle ground

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't exactly stall, though my progress was slower than it should've been. Ie I'd get 3 of my 5 reps on my workset deadlift, then get all 5 the next workout. But, to be entirely clear, my legs were too wide and as a result my hips too high, which I have since fixed.

I am not doing GOMAD though I do drink a couple glasses of milk throughout the day. Also, I'm 24 if that makes a difference.

My macros are typically
    30% protein
    30% carbs
    40% fat
    Last edited by notetcetera; 02-05-2013 at 10:49 AM.

I think you'd be well served by doing something like 325/450/125. Every week add carbs and fat (15-25g carbs and 5-10g of fat) unless you're gaining over 0.5lbs/wk. If you're not trying to weigh/measure (which is the only way to make macro recommendations relevant), I'd do something like:

Protein shake (2 scoops) x 3 x a day
    2lbs of chicken/lean meat (sub 8 eggs for half pound of meat) per day (divided into 3 meals)
    2 servings of rice/oats/potatoes at each meal, double that pre and post workout
    1 serving of fat at all meals besides pre and post workout.

Default Can't seem to find the middle ground

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I think you'd be well served by doing something like 325/450/125. Every week add carbs and fat (15-25g carbs and 5-10g of fat) unless you're gaining over 0.5lbs/wk. If you're not trying to weigh/measure (which is the only way to make macro recommendations relevant), I'd do something like:

Protein shake (2 scoops) x 3 x a day
    2lbs of chicken/lean meat (sub 8 eggs for half pound of meat) per day (divided into 3 meals)
    2 servings of rice/oats/potatoes at each meal, double that pre and post workout
    1 serving of fat at all meals besides pre and post workout.
    To reiterate, you mean 325 grams of protein, 450 grams of carbohydrates and 125 grams of fat...right?

I do weigh/ measure my food, it annoys me to not know.

I will weigh myself tomorrow and then again next week at the same time.

Yes. Get 40g of fiber per day (60 max) and if you're taking bcaas subtract 15-25g from your protein totals.

Yes. Get 40g of fiber per day (60 max) and if you're taking bcaas subtract 15-25g from your protein totals.
    The protein powder I use (Body Fortress) has 8 grams of BCAAs per 2 scoops. I'm not well versed on BCAAs, so I'm imagining I should subtract the 15g of protein? Also, should I eat an equivalent amount of carbs in exchange for less protein?

Quote Originally Posted by notetcetera View Post
    The protein powder I use (Body Fortress) has 8 grams of BCAAs per 2 scoops. I'm not well versed on BCAAs, so I'm imagining I should subtract the 15g of protein? Also, should I eat an equivalent amount of carbs in exchange for less protein?
    No and no. The BCAA count in whey protein are not free form BCAAs, thus they do not count as BCAAs (from what I know of the protein manufacturing process). Keep the carbs the same.

starting strength coach development program
    No and no. The BCAA count in whey protein are not free form BCAAs, thus they do not count as BCAAs (from what I know of the protein manufacturing process). Keep the carbs the same.
    Well, I have no idea what that means!
    But seriously, thanks for all your help, Jordan. It's much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast