starting strength gym

Thread: Macros for a 165?

Default Macros for a 165?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • Male
    • Age 29
    • Height: 5’7”
    • Weight: 167 BF: 14% (tape test & BodyMetrix)
    • Current work sets: Squat 265 3x5, Bench 150 3x5, Press 100 3x5
    • Currently eating anywhere from around 2000-2700 calories.

Hi Jordan, could you suggest some basic macro ratios and calorie targets for me? My progress has stalled the last few months and I think insufficient protein and good carbs was part of the problem. I’m upping my accountability by recently starting to track my calories and macros, so I'd appreciate your input.

My goal is to increase my PL total (I did my first meet in the fall) with a slow-moderate gain in bodyweight, avoiding excessive fat gain. 10lbs in 3 months seems about right, so maybe from 167 to 177. No PL meets on my calendar now, so I don’t need to worry about making a weight class.

As a smaller guy with not great lifts, I have tried GOMAD, but while I gained 20lbs (going from 145 to 165), it was more than half fat and I want to take a slower route this time. I now eat paleo-ish, but I’m starting to add some rice and potatoes back in the mix. Recently, my protein consumption was probably closer to 150g than 200g.

As for my lifting, I currently lift four times a week on an upper/lower split with each day centered on press, deadlift, bench press, and squat. 3x5 on the main lift (e.g. press), then one complementary lift (e.g. CG bench), then 3 or 4 assistance moves done in a circuit, so there’s a little sweat, but no real conditioning otherwise. Thanks for taking a look!

Ah, another Virginia guy. If ever you come down to Norfolk/VA beach and wanna train let me know!

The maximal rate of skeletal muscle accretion is about 8-10g of aminos per day, i.e. the maximal rate amino acids that can be deposited and assimilated into skeletal muscle. Of course, muscle is 70-80% water, connective tissue is not factored into this, and other tissue growth. At any rate, 25-30lbs of pure skeletal muscle is about the maximum someone who's not emaciated/malnourished can reasonably expect to put on in a year. With this in mind, we're looking for a 0.5-1lb gain per week and that is going to tell us what to do with carbs/fats.

I'd start you at 250/200/55 5 days a week and 230/360/50 2 days a week on your heavy days. Add carbs/fats in small increments if weight gain slows or is <0.5lbs/wk.

Thanks Mr Feigenbaum, that was very helpful & informative indeed.

Thanks, Jordan, this is good stuff, especially understanding realistic weight gain timelines. I'll give your macros a shot and let you know how it works out. Also, I've wanted to visit Brute Strength, so I'll drop you a line if I'm down in Norfolk. And if you're ever in DC, Matt Gary's gym SSPT is awesome.