starting strength gym

Thread: Advice needed

Default Advice needed

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

Im 27year old. 202 pounds around 18 to 20% bodyfat.

I am doing essentially SS with 2 squat days instead of 3 (Mon and Friday) and with some extra (minimal) accessory work (chinups, dips, curls, hyper-extentions, triceps).

My current lifts are:

Squat 3x5 - 235lbs
    Bench Press x4 - 137 pounds
    Press 3x5 - 88lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 - 308

My upper body lifts are out of proportion to my lower body because I had a surgery in my chest this summer.

I would like to increase my lifts while hover around 200lbs.

i am shooting every day for 3000 calories, 300g carb, 100g fat, 225g prot, 34g sugar and 19g fiber a day. I log everything that I eat here https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/kpapkpap (call it OCD but I would like to control all the parameters)

I have a couple of questions.

Q1) I was ex fat-as-fatass (300lbs), according to what I have read I have an excess of fat cells. Do these make me gain fat faster? I have a fat-persons mentality.. I am afraid to eat cause I think I will balloon back to 300lbs.

Q2)Based on the aforementioned how does my diet looks like?

Q3) Do I need conditioning work to minimise fat gain from such a diet?

Bonus question Q4) I am thinking of cutting (or dieting) for the summer. I know how to do it.. (TDEE -500 calories + ECA) but how do I maintain strength? Is there any particular dieting protocol that works?

Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by xupc View Post
    Q1) I was ex fat-as-fatass (300lbs), according to what I have read I have an excess of fat cells. Do these make me gain fat faster? I have a fat-persons mentality.. I am afraid to eat cause I think I will balloon back to 300lbs.
    No. You just need to improve your metabolism. The fat cells will never go away, they'll just empty. You'll be fine.

[/QUOTE]
    Q2)Based on the aforementioned how does my diet looks like?
    [QUOTE=xupc;612983]

It's okay. I'd like more fiber (30-50g/day) and I don't know why you're only shooting for 34g sugar. Seems like an odd number to me. Just hit your 225/300/100 and fiber requirements. You'll see where this takes you in a few weeks.

Q3) Do I need conditioning work to minimise fat gain from such a diet?
    Kind of. You need conditioning work to improve your metabolism so the nutrient partitioning improves, work capacity improves, and metabolism increases overall. HIIT is the way to go. Start with 1 day a week, add in another later on.

Bonus question Q4) I am thinking of cutting (or dieting) for the summer. I know how to do it.. (TDEE -500 calories + ECA) but how do I maintain strength? Is there any particular dieting protocol that works?
    I bolded this part for clarity. A lot of dieting protocols will work to lose weight. Some of the better ones will preferentially remove body fat. Only the really good ones will let you lose body fat while improving or maintaining strength. You need to find the macros that allow you maintain with a certain level of conditioning, then from that point if body comp is not improving, subtract a little energy (carbs and fat) slowly. 500kCal is too much in my opinion and I save ECA and similar stims for when people get stuck at really low body fat, i.e. going from 9-6%, not 20-15%.

Thank you very much. By the way, how much do you charge for private consulting?

Thank you very much. By the way, how much do you charge for private consulting?
    It varies depending on what's included, i.e. nutrition + conditioning rec's, nutrition+ training + conditioning, length of commitment etc. Send an email to coach@dfmfit.com and we can discuss it further bud :-).