starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-packaged meals for bodybuilders/etc.

Default Pre-packaged meals for bodybuilders/etc.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Jordan,

I was looking for your opinion on something that's available here in Australia. It's a pre-packaged delivery meal service targeted toward bodybuilders/etc.

I'm seriously considering it as the biggest compliance issue I have with hitting my macros is getting through all the cooking. I've seen you give pretty detailed instructions to someone on this recently here, but limited kitchen facilities and also limited time get in the way of anything like that for me.

Anyway, the service in question is http://www.musclemealsdirect.com.au. Each base meal is 200g of a meat protein source and 200g of a carb source. You can choose whether you want to up it to 250g or 300g of meat. You can also choose whether you want starchy carbs with each meal, mixed veggies with each meal, or half of your meals having starchy carbs and the other half of them having veg. They breakdown the macros per 100g of each food in their FAQ section so you can track it better.

I'm personally thinking the 4 meals a day option, 250g meat per meal, with half my meals being with veg and the other half being with rice/potato/pasta. It would look like this example meal plan, but with more meat.

My question is... can you see any nutritional or other downsides to basing my whole diet around something like this? Personally for me I think it would actually add more variety to my weekly eating than what I have now. I don't expect it to taste gourmet however (I've been told to definitely select the option w/ sauce....).

Your thoughts?

I think it's fine so long as you can determine the macros you want to eat, change them week to week (or at certain times), they're sanitary, and they're accurate.

Couple of similar services exist here in the states too. Some of the stuff ends up tasting like crap at the end of a week but this would likely eliminate any compliance issues stemming from food prep. On the other hand, it might prevent you from actually doing the food prep/measuring/etc. you need to learn to do to meet your goals. Overall, I think it's fine though.

Care to name any of the ones in the U.S.? I've been thinking about trying one of them out. So far I've found a Paleo meal service, but I'd have to drive 8 miles to pick up the meals, and I don't have a car.

Depends where you're at in the good ol US. Metabolic Meals is big in STL. You can basically tell them what you want to eat and they make it for you for a price.

Woah, Coach, you're from Saint Louis? I'm currently a senior wrestling captain at one of the local private high schools. I'll be back under the barbell fulltime in two weeks. I train at either my school's gym or a Gold's Gym, but I'm always open to explore new sites. Where do you train if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by SilentShots View Post
    Woah, Coach, you're from Saint Louis? I'm currently a senior wrestling captain at one of the local private high schools. I'll be back under the barbell fulltime in two weeks. I train at either my school's gym or a Gold's Gym, but I'm always open to explore new sites. Where do you train if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm in Virginia now but when I was I'm in STL I split my time between a top secret location (inside joke with some buddies), Club Fitness, and The Lab.

Default Re: Pre-packaged meals for bodybuilders/etc.

I can't comment on these services but I'm lucky enough to work for a company that provides meals, and it makes a massive difference from a compliance standpoint. I am more than willing to make the healthy choice that fits my macros but I am a terrible cook and very busy with family and work. If I leave to a company that is less progressive, I would certainly look into these services/be willing to pay a premium for them. It's a huge time and mental energy saver.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I'm in Virginia now but when I was I'm in STL I split my time between a top secret location (inside joke with some buddies), Club Fitness, and The Lab.
    Wouldn't happen to be a greasy old 24 hour powerhouse gym off watson that is somehow only 100 bucks a year would it?

I don't think you're from that part of stl, though. My brother lived with yours in college for a bit, but i dont remember exactly where Adam said he was from.

Quote Originally Posted by rational View Post
    Wouldn't happen to be a greasy old 24 hour powerhouse gym off watson that is somehow only 100 bucks a year would it?

I don't think you're from that part of stl, though. My brother lived with yours in college for a bit, but i dont remember exactly where Adam said he was from.
    Nah it was a warehouse, not open to the public. We're just from the suburbs, St. Charles county.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Nah it was a warehouse, not open to the public. We're just from the suburbs, St. Charles county.
    That's right...other side of town. Powerhouse is where south county/ south city meet. Haven't been in a while since I don't live in stl anymore but I think they recently started banning chalk and becoming generally regressive. Shame. Used to be a gem. 8 bucks a month ffs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast