starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much coffee is too much?

Default How much coffee is too much?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a coffee/stimulant fiend. Since I started working in an office and sitting at a computer all day my coffee intake has went way up. One full pot of the strong coffee a day (counting the travel mug to get me to work) and usually an energy drink on the way home. I drink water if I'm thirsty but I drink coffee out of habit. Is this sabotaging my training?

Probably not. Most people can tolerate a lot more coffee and caffeine than they think. If it's messing with your sleep though, then you're screwed.

Also, drink more water than you think you should.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Probably not. Most people can tolerate a lot more coffee and caffeine than they think. If it's messing with your sleep though, then you're screwed.

Also, drink more water than you think you should.
    Will do. Thanks.

Is there no truth to caffeine elevating cortisol levels too much? Obviously you want them up during a workout but pounding caffeine all day seems like it would raise the average levels.

Or is that negligible or something that goes away with tolerance?

Do you ever go to bed and lay there for an hour worrying about things instead of sleeping? It might not be that your life sucks, it might just be the coffee.

I used to have a "no caffeine after 4:00pm" rule, but I've changed my deadline to 10:00am with happy results. Your mileage will vary. Giving up coffee entirely is unthinkable.

Quote Originally Posted by rational View Post
    Coffee increases cortisol acutely, which is interesting because cortisol and it's receptors function on a transcription/translation/protein synthesis basis, i.e. responses to cortisol are very slow comparatively. Chronic cortisol elevation is probably bad but coffee/caffeine/stims are fine in moderation, especially if they don't mess with your sleep, which is waaaaay more important. Also, haven't forgotten about the longevity stuff either bud.

Quote Originally Posted by rational View Post
    Coffee increases cortisol acutely, which is interesting because cortisol and it's receptors function on a transcription/translation/protein synthesis basis, i.e. responses to cortisol are very slow comparatively. Chronic cortisol elevation is probably bad but coffee/caffeine/stims are fine in moderation, especially if they don't mess with your sleep, which is waaaaay more important. Also, haven't forgotten about the longevity stuff either bud.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Do you ever go to bed and lay there for an hour worrying about things instead of sleeping? It might not be that your life sucks, it might just be the coffee.

I used to have a "no caffeine after 4:00pm" rule, but I've changed my deadline to 10:00am with happy results. Your mileage will vary. Giving up coffee entirely is unthinkable.
    Oh my life sucks alright but I'm used to it. The coffee and no-sugar energy drinks don't bother my sleep but strangely a sugary drink like sweet tea will keep me up. I'm going to try to cut back some and drink more water but quitting outright is ludicrous.

Would you recommend cutting out coffee a week (say timed with a weight deload)? I always have 2 cups in the morning but recently had to start adding in an extra tbsp of beans to get the same jitters.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Texan View Post
    Would you recommend cutting out coffee a week (say timed with a weight deload)? I always have 2 cups in the morning but recently had to start adding in an extra tbsp of beans to get the same jitters.
    If you want to get more sensitive to it, sure. I don't think it's necessary for any health benefits though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast