starting strength gym

Thread: Supplements per bodyweight

Default Supplements per bodyweight

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan,

Thanks for all the info and knowledge that you pass on here. I have been following your advice re: supplements, and have begun to use BCAAs, beta alanine, l-carnitine, and ZMA.

My question is are your recommended amounts geared toward a specific weight class? I weigh in at 272, at 6'2", 36 y.o. It seems that your recommendations are pretty much the same across the board, but I want to ensure that I am getting a maximum benefit from the supplements I take. I am following your guidelines as set forth in the sticky.

Thanks, Joe

It's not so much that it varies by weight class per se, but more about overall goals when it comes to certain supplements.

I like creatine for everyone, protein if you need it help you reach your macro goals, and vitamin D/fish oil/betaine HCl for "health"

For fat loss/management, I really like Yohimbine HCl, Sesamin, and r-Alpha Lipoic Acid.

Sorry, I should have said I just started taking BCAAs, beta-alanine, l-carnitine, and ZMA. I have been using 5g creatine p/day since I began SS, along with about three 40g protein shakes for overall protein intake of 250-280g per day.

I was doing a whole foods high protein no starches kind of diet, and went from 305 down to 238 over nine months. At that point I started SS, and have been eating geared towards increasing my strength. I have incorporated starches back into my diet, mostly rice, potatoes, and sweeet potatoes on WO days, pre and post WO. On nonWO days I am pretty much following my previous eating pattern, except I have increased my daily intake of calories by a factor of two ie double servings of everything. My squat has gone from 85x5x3 to 280x5x5.

I want to keep up the strength gains, and I wanted to make sure that the recommended doses for BCAAs etc were sufficient for someone my size.

Re: fat loss, I know how to do it, and I will do it eventually, but right now I want to get stronger than fuck.

I like that last goal and congrats. I generally recommend 3-5g of BCAA between meals and 10-15 PWO. Anything more than that is overkill for 99% of people.