starting strength gym

Thread: Milk as a supplement?

Default Milk as a supplement?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan,

After your advice about a month ago I followed it and stayed around 6'3 230lbs for my first month of SS. However, I am slipping back in to my bad habits from being at work/school about 14 hours a day.

This past week my calories dropped significantly (some days maybe 2000 a day?), and I find myself tempted to eat fast food when I forget to bring a meal just to make sure I hit calories. I started stalling this week after a good first month, and I was wondering what your opinion of getting maybe 1/4th to 1/2 of my calories from milk for performance?

I am consuming around 2 scoops of Sciavtion BCAA's per day, along with creatine and ON protein powder. Would a half gallon of GOMAD be alright, or is there a risk of being catabolic by not eating much in the terms of solids during the day? I try to eat some almonds and a can of tuna/salmon, but thats usually it before dinner.

My day is usually as follows:

6:00am: 25g ON Protein, creatine, water, multivitamin, coffee with heavy cream
    10:30am: 13g BCAAs
    Noon: 3oz tuna, hand full of almonds (or if I am hungry, garbage like a burrito from the local mexican place)
    2:30pm: 13g BCAAS
    6-10pm: Eat as much as I can, trying to focus on meat and veggies. 3 days a week I only have an hour break before night class, so I eat whatever I can for fear of not getting calories.

Thanks Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Winona77 View Post
    I was wondering what your opinion of getting maybe 1/4th to 1/2 of my calories from milk for performance?[/B]

My day is usually as follows:

6:00am: 25g ON Protein, creatine, water, multivitamin, coffee with heavy cream
    10:30am: 13g BCAAs
    Noon: 3oz tuna, hand full of almonds (or if I am hungry, garbage like a burrito from the local mexican place)
    2:30pm: 13g BCAAS
    6-10pm: Eat as much as I can, trying to focus on meat and veggies. 3 days a week I only have an hour break before night class, so I eat whatever I can for fear of not getting calories.

Thanks Jordan.
    You're trying to do SS with a slant towards IF or CBL without the carbs? I'm not sure I understand your dietary strategy and since you seem to be struggling with compliance and gains, I'd have you switch to something else.

At 6am I'd double your protein powder at a minimum. At noon I'd double to triple your protein intake. Are you doing low carb 24/7? Also I think your BCAA boluses are too big, shoot for 5g BCAA between meals, double that post workout.

Finally, on the milk question: If it makes you more compliant and gets you closer to the calorie/macro total you need then it will be an improvement for sure. You won't be catabolic with liquid food dude, hell, plasma amino acids are elevated about 5 hours after taking down a 30-40g whey protein shake.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Also I think your BCAA boluses are too big
    Why? I assume it has to do with already maxing synthesis rates?
    I feel like I am always asking you weird questions, feel free to tell me to bugger off.

Quote Originally Posted by strideknight View Post
    Why? I assume it has to do with already maxing synthesis rates?
    I feel like I am always asking you weird questions, feel free to tell me to bugger off.
    yes, rate is maxed out between 3-5g-ish and they have calories (and cost money) so might as well not go overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    You're trying to do SS with a slant towards IF or CBL without the carbs? I'm not sure I understand your dietary strategy and since you seem to be struggling with compliance and gains, I'd have you switch to something else.

At 6am I'd double your protein powder at a minimum. At noon I'd double to triple your protein intake. Are you doing low carb 24/7? Also I think your BCAA boluses are too big, shoot for 5g BCAA between meals, double that post workout.

Finally, on the milk question: If it makes you more compliant and gets you closer to the calorie/macro total you need then it will be an improvement for sure. You won't be catabolic with liquid food dude, hell, plasma amino acids are elevated about 5 hours after taking down a 30-40g whey protein shake.
    I tried to be brief and realize I didn't make it clear-- that isn't a normal day for me, just 2 or 3 days a week I am on the move so much that my eating strategy goes to hell. I try to bring rice/chicken/veggies, but I end up either forgetting them or eating them for lunch and by dinner on the road I'm like "now what?" That's where I wonder if milk would be ok, if I am getting my protein from powder, carbs/fat/calories from milk. I just have heard that drinking all of your calories can send you in to catabolism, but that must be a myth.

Thanks Jordan.

Definitely a myth.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Luchesar View Post
    Even if this were true compared to an isocaloric, isonitrogenous + fat, carbs, calcium, etc. control group, so what?