starting strength gym

Thread: Daily food intake check

Default Daily food intake check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was told in one of my threads that I should "pop over to the nutrition forum and ask <name of which I can't remember> about my diet".

So here I am!

During the non-weekend days it looks like this:
    - 07.00 Breakfast: 1 whole bread with peanut butter, salad and a "herring-bit(stored)" on and a glas of juice.
    (Big gap)
    - 11.30 school lunch: Well, "school-lunch food" which is anything from pasta and poultry to potatoes and meatballs, but always a lot of salad with that.
    (Gigantic gap)
    - 17.00 (5 o'clock) dinner: Whole tortilla with tuna, salad and broccoli, potatoes and fish or whole rice and lentil stew with soy or something else. But I try to avoid red meat and refined carbs and saturated fat.

- 20.00 (8 in the evening) "supper": 2 whole breads with peanut butter, salad and a "herring-bit" on and a bowl(2-3 dl) of low-fat youghurt with whole oats in.

During the weekend it looks like this:
    - 10.00 breakfast: Same as supper^.
    - 13.30 lunch: Same as dinner on non-weekend days but with possible more vegetarian type of diet.
    - 17.00 (5 o'clock) dinner: Same as lunch
    - 20.00 (8 in the evening): Same as on non-weekend days.

So how does it look?
    I realize that I should grab a snack or something during the gaps but I have no idea what I should have.

I stopped the GOMAD diet since I started reading a bit on nutrition(mainly because of all the saturated fat) but I assume I can make up for it by eating more calories.

How much do you weigh? How tall are you? Are you doing SS (basically all the questions required to give you any sort of answer)?

I think your diet is way to high in refined grains, aka bread, but hey it doesn't bother your GI tract, get after it. It looks low in protein, although you could be pounding tons of "herring-bit", although I'm not sure what that is.

I'm also just going to say that probably everything you think is "bad" about saturated fat is wrong.

Sorry about the lack of info!
    I weigh 70kg/154 lb
    I'm 1.76m/5.77 feet tall
    I'm 16 years old.
    I'm on the original SS novice program.

Isn't whole bread non-refined? Anyways, It's 'brown' bread that is considered healthy. How much protein do you think I should have each day? A "herring-bit" would be the fish thing on this picture: http://www.ica.se/ImageVaultFiles/id...k_och_s-lt.JPG
    One of those on each sandwich.
    So what is the reality about saturated fat? No debate intentions here, just asking.
    And I'm also adding lots of beans and legumes to the salads so I'd say I get a little protein there.

You definitely get some protein with the beans and legumes, but their amino acid profile, bioavailability, and digestibility is 3rd world like compared to whey and animal products. I think you should get about 200-225g protein/day. All bread is refined, as it must be processed to make it into bread. Are there any bread plants? At the end of the day, bread can be okay, I just don't like it from a digestibility standpoint, especially if someone is a big reactive to it.

Saturated fat, in a nutshell, is fine to eat as it pertains to your lipid profile, which at 16 should probably not be a concern unless you're morbidly obese, have a family history of lipid-related pathology, etc. In short, I'd recommend eating more meat, drinking more milk, and keeping carbs about the same but from things like beans, rice, potatoes, and oats.

Alright, thanks for clearing things up. I'll try to follow your advice.