starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creatine keeps me awake

Default Creatine keeps me awake

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan,

As the title suggests, I find creatine mono keeps me awake. I've tried 3 different brands now with no luck getting a decent night sleep. 1 of the 3 brands was also in pill form. I know its the creatine because the following day I don't take it and its fine. FYI the brands I have are GNC pills, APS powder form and balance also in powder form.

I also have a 4th tub of creatine but its the ethyl ester stuff by primaforce, I can take this stuff with no issues with sleep, how ever its the most foul tasting stuff i've ever had. You cant mask the taste with anything.

My questions are, Do you approve the CEE stuff? and is this the first time you have heard of creatine mono keeping people awake?

When do you take it? I've read of some nitrogenous free form compounds, i.e. BCAAs, and similar messing with certain neurotransmitter signaling for sleep, but this IS the first time I've heard of someone doing it with creatine (edit: besides Carlos, which doesn't count because he's foreign and his creatine is almost certainly laced with stimulants).

I don't "approve" of CEE compared to monohydrate, but it'll do the job. I'd just take creatine 1st thing in the AM if this were my issue. On the other hand, I'm not sure if we can "scientifically" say that because you stopped taking creatine in one day and you can sleep that it's the creatine. You ever eat red meat before bed?
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 02-17-2013 at 01:13 PM.

As I mentioned in another thread, it has happened with me. Why not just take it in the morning?

Cool

I take it soon after waking up. Yesterday I had it at about 9am and I don't think I fell asleep until 1am. I eat red meat every night. I also take ZMA before bed.

Ill keep taking it every morning and see if its just psychological or not. Otherwise ill have to take on the CEE everyday

Thanks for the response

Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    I take it soon after waking up. Yesterday I had it at about 9am and I don't think I fell asleep until 1am. I eat red meat every night. I also take ZMA before bed.

Ill keep taking it every morning and see if its just psychological or not. Otherwise ill have to take on the CEE everyday

Thanks for the response
    The A in zma is aspartate which is an excitotoxin for your brain, so could be that, alot of people have vivid dreams when taking the stuff.

Excitotoxin? It's just a weak neurotransmitter, although it is excitatory, it's weak and the likelihood of it making it past the liver is pretty low methinks as it will likely get metabolized there by getting stuck in the Urea cycle. Additionally, although some conversion to glutamate may occur in the plasma, the blood brain barrier prevents intermingling of two "glutamate pools", as each are regulated fairly independently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    When do you take it? I've read of some nitrogenous free form compounds, i.e. BCAAs, and similar messing with certain neurotransmitter signaling for sleep, but this IS the first time I've heard of someone doing it with creatine (edit: besides Carlos, which doesn't count because he's foreign and his creatine is almost certainly laced with stimulants).
    Lol... you guys are the lucky ones. You get steroids in your milk... around here we have to buy them in the black market like the rest of the world. Lucky bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Lol... you guys are the lucky ones. You get steroids in your milk... around here we have to buy them in the black market like the rest of the world. Lucky bastards.
    But you can buy them and use them without congress dragging you into a hearing!

I had a friend mention creatine making him edgy, angry.

I never saw his supplement bottle so I'm assuming it had stimulants and fillers.

starting strength coach development program
    Could be, but then again I have had multiple people tell me about there cell tech, jack3d, NOVASOEXPLOD that made them "rage out". I think more than half of it is psychosomatic.

I snort my creatine on off days though, just to keep my sinuses clear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast