starting strength gym

Thread: At the other end of the spectrum: A diet recommendation for obese novice lifter

Default At the other end of the spectrum: A diet recommendation for obese novice lifter

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am reading SSBT about nutrition. I read that Paleo is a good diet plan to follow. Is there a good Paleo meal plan I can follow? Should I avoid milk, since I'm on Paleo? If milk might be beneficial, how much should I drink per day?

My Age: 44
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 320 lbs

Thanks for the help in advance!
    George

George,

Welcome to the site man. I think Paleo is a really good place to start for you, although I wouldn't recommend doing the milk as a regular part of your diet per the standard recommendations on this site. I would, however, do something like a single glass of milk immediately post workout for a couple reasons; namely maintaining the activity of your lactase/ability to handle milk and milk products (if it's functional right now) and also doing something for recovery outside of your Paleo leanings, which should (if you do it appropriately) lead you to a pretty good caloric deficit and weight loss.

For you, I'd start out by just sticking to lean meats, vegetables, 1-2 servings of fruit per day, 1 glass of milk post workout, and focusing on food quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    George,

Welcome to the site man. I think Paleo is a really good place to start for you, although I wouldn't recommend doing the milk as a regular part of your diet per the standard recommendations on this site. I would, however, do something like a single glass of milk immediately post workout for a couple reasons; namely maintaining the activity of your lactase/ability to handle milk and milk products (if it's functional right now) and also doing something for recovery outside of your Paleo leanings, which should (if you do it appropriately) lead you to a pretty good caloric deficit and weight loss.

For you, I'd start out by just sticking to lean meats, vegetables, 1-2 servings of fruit per day, 1 glass of milk post workout, and focusing on food quality.
    Thanks for the reply, Jordan. This is easy enough to follow and I look forward to posting my progress on here from time to time. I also plan to come to TX for SSS when they get around to posting the date. I have so much to learn but I can tell this is a blessing for me.

Pulling for you!