starting strength gym

Thread: Please help me understand the nutritional information from my protein supplement

Default Please help me understand the nutritional information from my protein supplement

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan,

I've got a question regarding the nutritional information printed on the label of my protein supplement. I've only recently started taking this particular one, I'm on my 3rd batch of it now, I noticed this on the label of my 1st batch & as I'm lucky enough to be able to buy it direct from the manufacturer I asked the question about it the last time I was there. The girls in the office were a little unsure themselves & said they would ask the question for me, when I went to restock today they gave me the answer. I am not knowledgeable enough to be able to ask further questions directly to them without potentially coming across as a bit of a dick. I respect the guy a lot who manufactures this stuff, he really knows his training & is a multi international award winning body builder, I am not criticising his supplements in any way as I have always got good results when using them, I just want to understand the label a bit more so I know what kind of daily doses I'm giving myself.

So, here goes, the nutritional information states:

Per 100g
    ENERGY 1710kj/402kcal
    PROTEIN 99g
    CARBOHYDRATE 0
    FAT 0
    CREATINE MONOHYDRATE 15000mg
    L-GLUTAMINE 5000mg
    TAURINE 5000mg
    L'ARGININE 2000mg

To my uneducated brain, that added up to 126g the first time I looked at it, what I was told today was that the 99g of protein included the creatine, l-glutamine, taurine & l'arginine, & that if I take 100g of this supplement per day these are the doses I'm getting.

At the risk of asking a dumb question, are creatine, l-glutamine, taurine & l'arginine proteins or when combined they make protein? I was always under the impression that creatine was a separate thing & was something you took as well as any protein supplement.

Whatever the answer is, I'll be continuing to take this stuff as it does seem to be BADASS!! It tastes like sh*t though…

You're getting 99g of protein and 6 trace calories from somewhere else, likely an artificial sweetener or binding agent of some sort.

Creatine, glutamine, taurine, and arginine are nitrogen containing compounds, but do not count towards your daily protein totals due to some fairly intricate metabolic pathways. The creatine dose seems stupid high and glutamine and arginine are useless.

I also wouldn't take 100g of this stuff at a time...50g should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    You're getting 99g of protein and 6 trace calories from somewhere else, likely an artificial sweetener or binding agent of some sort.

Creatine, glutamine, taurine, and arginine are nitrogen containing compounds, but do not count towards your daily protein totals due to some fairly intricate metabolic pathways.
    Thanks for that, it does have sweetener in the list of ingredients (Sucralose)

I also wouldn't take 100g of this stuff at a time...50g should do the trick.
    Ah, I don't take 100g in one go - I take 3 portions spread out across the day which adds up to 100g. If it's a training day then it's a portion before heading off to the gym, another portion after I've finished the workout & another one before bed. On non training days it's a portion in the morning, another halfway through the day then again before bed.

glutamine and arginine are useless.
    Why is the glutamine & arginine useless? In the promo materials it says:

"Glutamine plays key roles in protein metabolism, cell volumizing, and anti-catabolism. Increases your ability to secrete Human Growth Hormone, which helps metabolize body fat and support new muscle growth."

for arginine it has

"L-Arginine ingestion has also been shown to increase skelatal muscle mitochondrial and greater exercise capacity.Recent data confirms that Arginine not only plays a muscle building role, but also acts as a Lipolytic"

& also

"Among its many roles, L-Arginine:
    * is a precursor of Nitric Oxide
    * promotes circulation resulting in improved blood flow
    * stimulates the release of growth hormone
    * increases muscle mass, while reducing body fat
    * supports male fertility, improving sperm production and mobility
    * reduces risk of blood clots and stroke
    * supports normal blood pressure
    * improves vascular function for patients with angina
    * helps recovery after heart attacks
    * has become known as a safe and effective prosexual nutrient for
    men and women by the improved blood flow to the genital area. "

Am I falling victim to the hype? I started taking this stuff on the recommendation of the guy who makes it, I was buying separate tubs of whey & creatine monohydrate from him, which is way more expensive than this new stuff. He could have let me carry on spending more on the separate tubs but he was certain I'd prefer to use this stuff.

The creatine dose seems stupid high
    I did think it was a lot when I first started taking it, I used to take 5g a time up to twice daily previously. It does say on the label "The highest formula protein drink in the world"

Am I falling victim to the hype? I started taking this stuff on the recommendation of the guy who makes it, I was buying separate tubs of whey & creatine monohydrate from him, which is way more expensive than this new stuff. He could have let me carry on spending more on the separate tubs but he was certain I'd prefer to use this stuff.
    If this stuff is cheap then it's fine but the claims made about glutamine and arginine are false. Glutamine "works" because it's a nitrogen containing compound, so essentially you're adding more "protein" to the equation and for someone who is protein deficient, this can lead to better recovery. It doesn't get metabolized the same way as your typical whey, animal, or BCAA, but because the small intestine, liver, and kidney will nosh on some glutamine before using other in-tact proteins (whey and animal proteins) you free up some more protein to go to the skeletal muscle. Additionally, studies showing the glutamine "works" are done with IV glutamine/glutamine injections, in burn patients and immunodeficient/compromised , or people with severe gut distress. It's essentially worthless for a healthy, protein-rich eating diet population . Arginine is in vivo a precursor to nitric oxide, but when you take it orally it never makes it that far. It's useless.

15g of creatine isn't awful if your gut can tolerate it, but this would make some people wicked sick.

Thanks for helping me see things a bit more clearly Jordan, I don't feel like I'm having any issues with the 15g of creatine so far, maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

Cheers