starting strength gym

Thread: Caloric intake and macro recs for a lifter/bike rider.

Default Caloric intake and macro recs for a lifter/bike rider.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    27 year old male. I have been a mountain bike racer for about 10 years and want to begin lifting to supplement my riding. Typical race would be 100 miles on dirt roads and trail with lots of long climbs.

· Current program Beginning Starting Strength 3 days/ week next week. Will do this for 2 weeks to get some good initial gains then bump down to 2 days/week to allow plenty of room to continue riding 5-6 days a week. Probably 10 hours riding per week average.

· Current weight and BF% estimate: 5ft9 140lb and 12%BF

· Current calorie and macro total (if known) No idea. I have lifting the past month but only done 3x3 squats and presses 3 days per week.

· Question : I'm okay with gaining some weight to allow me to get stronger but "too much" will be a hindrance once summer is here and races start up. I'm thinking getting to around 155# would be a reasonable increase then get as strong as I can at that weight. Once I am riding more in the summer I would think I would lean down naturally. I know I am sacrificing some ultimate strength here but I'm ok with that... as this is a supplement to riding not my main goal.

What should I do calorie and macro wise here to help me recover properly but not gain more than 10-15# to my current BW? 6000 cal. per day seems too much and 2000 is obviously too little. My basic plan was to consume 150g protein daily and maybe 3000 cal total.

Thanks a lot for doing this.

How old are you and why do you think having a bigger engine will slow the car down?

27. As far as the bigger engine....that's more from personal observation that the lower my body fat has been the better my race results have been.

Of course, after a month of casual lifting my legs feel stronger and I am a bit faster on the bike.

Ok, so as far as beginning the SS program and still riding (might drop to twice per week lifting if riding is suffering a bunch) like I am any ballpark for calories/macros I should be going for?

I'd aim for ~200g of protein/day

As far as the bigger engine....that's more from personal observation that the lower my body fat has been the better my race results have been.

Of course, after a month of casual lifting my legs feel stronger and I am a bit faster on the bike.
    I definitely agree that having a better force to weight ratio will be advantageous, however, not if the force part of it is compromised in order to stay at an arbitrarily low BW. Take 3-4 months and try to get as strong as possible during what is, hopefully, the off season. This would be with minimal riding, i.e. just enough to keep your cadence and some semblance of base level conditioning/pedaling efficiency.

Ok, so as far as beginning the SS program and still riding (might drop to twice per week lifting if riding is suffering a bunch) like I am any ballpark for calories/macros I should be going for?
    Do the above and I think starting at 200-220/300-350/100-120 is great starting place although admittedly I know nothing of your metabolism and how you'll respond. I do suspect, however, that a 160-175lb version of yourself with a 315 x 5 x3 back squat done on LP will be much faster provided you can balance your conditioning and a lower volume strength program once you do an honest 3 month LP.

Alright dude, I'm going to give a 3 month linear progression a shot then drop back to 2x per week lifting during peak riding season.

Within that layout you gave me how much of that could/should be whole milk?

Thanks again.

starting strength coach development program
    As much or as little as you want provided it fits within the framework of your overall nutrition. It's not magical, it's just easy to put down and has a lot of micronutrients that some people otherwise miss.