starting strength gym

Thread: What does 250g protein look like?

Default What does 250g protein look like?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Jordan,

I know the title is a bit silly, but bear with me.
    I've been eating tyson brand whole fryer chickens for several days now. They are cheap (very cheap) and tasty.
    However, if the nutritional labels are accurate, then that means in a 30 minute span I am capable of eating 400g of protein and 300g of fat (on top of a couple potatoes) without even feeling THAT full.
    Either I am capable of eating a LOT more than the average human, or 400 grams of protein just isn't that much...

So, in your experience, what does 250g look like? I'm not talking about measurements in ounces, grams, etc. I mean more in terms of "fist-fulls" or "quarter plate-fulls".

Physically, what would a days worth of food look like to get to 250g protein, using foods like eggs, beef, chicken, etc.?

Thanks!

Typically something like this (also, stop eating fryer chickens dude):

Breakfast:
    8 eggs (whole ) or 12 whites (ish)

Meal 2:
    1 hand sized portion of chicken (fingers included and same thickness as hand) ~8oz

Meal 3:
    2 cans of tuna

Meal 4:
    hand sized portion of lean beef

meal 5:
    two scoops whey

What's tricky is high protein without overdosing on fat. I'm aiming for a modest amount of just the most nutritious fats (i.e. egg yolks, sardines) because I'm a bit fluffy. It doesn't take much cheddar cheese or peanut butter to blow past my fat goals. Fried chicken is right out.

Weighing my food & counting macros this week has been educational.

Yea. I'm good with egg whites, chicken, turkey, whey, yogurt, bacon, etc. Off season when fat climbs higher I get a lot more leeway with stuff, or if I'm doing a low carb diet.

Does the nutrition label actually say 400g or are you calculating that based on weight and serving size? I'm guessing you might be including the bone weight in the calculation but the nutrition label is based on only meat and skin. Also, factory farm brands like Tyson inject their chickens with salt water to bump the package weight up -- one reason why they are so cheap per lb. I'd guess realistically it is probably 200-300g protein which is still a lot. The only way to really know is to pick off all the meat after cooking and weigh it. My problem with whole chicken is that the breasts are like chewing on cardboard to me unless I cover them in bbq sauce or something like that.