starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiber Sources

Default Fiber Sources

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan –

Let's talk about fibrous foods. I follow a gluten-free, no-legume diet as I have found those foods tend to make me unpleasant to be around.

I currently get my fiber primarily from:
    Starch: potatoes, sweet potatoes, plantains
    Fruit: mainly bananas, blackberries, grapefruit
    Vegetables: mainly brussel sprouts, broccoli, kale, spinach, peppers, peas

My other major carbohydrate source is rice, which has no appreciable fiber. I'm averaging 20-25 grams of fiber a day, from 99% whole-food sources. Any other suggestions? Do I really need so much fiber given that I'm not really eating anything processed.

Thanks,
    Dan

I'm also gluten free (mostl) and average about 35g a day when I'm at 200g carbs or higher and get them from the sources you listed pretty much. You certainly don't need that much fiber but its thermogenesis, may be satieting, and limits the tomfoolery that could occur with x amount of carbs when someone is measuring macros.

No nuts?

Nuts are fine if they fit your fat requirements. They aren't exactly fiber powerhouses though at like 2-3G per serving. Coconut flour though, that's some fiber power right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Coconut flour though, that's some fiber power right there.
    Thanks for the tip!

Any more super fiber foods that I should know about? I routinely eat 2 handfuls of spinach every morning and just discovered that is very little fiber.

Blueberries have a ton of fiber too.

Chia seeds have an absurd amount of fiber, but they're expensive. One of the cheapest sources of fiber available is flax seeds: at around $1.99/lb, it comes with omega fatty acids, protein, and a ton of fiber. I buy them whole and grind them with my coffee grinder. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3163/2

You can mix a couple of tablespoons in with some Gluten-free oatmeal for breakfast.

Green smoothies are a great way to consume a large amount raw leafy grains at once. Try putting 4-5 cups of baby spinach in a blender with a banana, some apple cider, and some frozen berries.

All good suggestions, just remember that you don't want to go overboard on the fiber and suffer from malabsorption issues. I shoot for 6-8g per meal max, which usually turns into 1-2 servings of veggies, some potatoes, and I call it good. 40g+ of fiber a day is overkill unless your carbs are 400+.

starting strength coach development program
    Oats - peri only or okay on off days? Carrots and other roots okay on off days?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast