starting strength gym

Thread: Is creatine for me: how will I know.

Default Is creatine for me: how will I know.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Been lurking a while. I don't know who you are Jordan, but you da man with all the non-stop advice. So, Jordan or anyone else: I'm thinking of taking creatine.

I'm 41yo. 6'2" / 200lbs / 23%bf. Skinny fat. I'm trying to recomp, but am erring on the side of gaining. (i.e., I eat close to maintenance / a little over).

I'm in week 5 of SL 5x5 (I know, I know), reading SS3 for the 2nd time and seeing some results. Try to eat around 40/40/20 daily. Slightly carb cycling - but I'm not using scales, just measuring by scanning everything into myfitnesspal.

I know I'm going to be plateauing in a couple weeks or so - which is why I'm considering creatine, but I've got a few questions:

If I start, how long will it take until I start seeing performance increases? What will that look like / how will I know I respond to creatine?

No "loading", right? Just start taking 5g/day? 10g on workout days?

How much water weight should I expect to gain? (after SL, I'm going to go on a cut for a 180 mile bike race.) And if I stop, how fast will it go away?

Thanks in advance. I'm loving this forum.

If I start, how long will it take until I start seeing performance increases? What will that look like / how will I know I respond to creatine?
    About a week. You won't feel anything "distinct" but if you respond to creatine via increased muscle force output, then you should be able to continue your LP and maybe feel an advantage in the gym. There are plenty of other health reasons to take creatine so even if you're a non responder, I'd take it anyway.

No "loading", right? Just start taking 5g/day? 10g on workout days?
    At your size, you don't have to load it and you could get away with 3-5g/day and see what happens. More than that might cause some initial gut distress if you're sensitive to it. On the other hand, you can saturate the muscle faster with a 2day 20g/day load, and then go to 5g, but it's not a crazy difference in saturation of skeletal muscle creatine (like 3% IIRC).

How much water weight should I expect to gain? (after SL, I'm going to go on a cut for a 180 mile bike race.) And if I stop, how fast will it go away?
    0-??? lbs. I don't lose or gain any water on creatine. I think a lot of it is people either consciously or subconsciously change their dietary intake of carbohydrates, salt, and water and there may be a transient fluctuation in water retention, which normalizes. On the other hand, you might retain a bit of water but it's hard to say for sure. Some literature says that the initial water gain is permanent due to increased skeletal muscle tissue, which is 80% water. Complete washout of creatine is ~7-14 days. I wouldn't quit creatine before any athletic event tho...

Thanks! I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Do you have any other thoughts, suggestions, or critics on my approach?

To elaborate on goals a bit more:

I'm trying to gain strength, lose fat. Some for aesthetics, but mostly to keep up with my young kids for a long time.

I've got 7 more weeks of string lifts 5x5 and I'm hoping to have only gained a few pounds over the course of the program while I cut into all my BF. Is that too lofty a goal given my somewhat lackadaisical approach to macros?

Obviously, I don't want to sabotage in the kitchen... Thoughts?

get rid of the deadlift 5x5 and switch it to 1x5 for deads. Start doing powercleans, do 1 session of HIIT per week on day 3 of training, eat lots of protein, carbs around training mainly, keep track of your cals and recovery and adjust accordingly.