starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Putting on weight fast....

Default Putting on weight fast....

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Jordan,

You helped me out about 4 weeks ago and said I should start out with the macros
    300 p/350 c/150f (thank you for that!). Throughout the day, spaced evenly, i'll drink 6 pints of milk (115 p/160 c/ 123f), 2 shakes (87g p/ 70g c/ 9 f) consisting of whey, oats, creatine, bcaa, beta-alanine and then the rest is split into 3 meals of (100 p/ 120 c/ 20 f) usually consisting of chicken/beef, potatoes more often than rice and some veg.

I've been putting on 1kg a week for 4 consecutive weeks now and wanted to know if you consider this too much weight gain as far as putting on too much fat goes?

And also, if this is too much gain, whether it would be better to cut the milk in half and replace it with food or just to change my macros up a bit, or if there's a better way than the two I can think of.

Thank you in advance.

Your numbers don't add up the way you listed them for your macros or maybe I'm just dense (likely). At any rate, your meals look bigger than I'd like them to be and something like 60/50*/30** (p/c/f) 5x a day spread 3-5 hours would be much more optimal.

*= double the carbs pre and post workout
    **=half the fat pre and post workout.

Your weight gain is fine I think, as I don't know your weight it's hard to say, but it's probably fine. Keep it going.

Sorry, no I haven't laid it out very clearly, the meals are split between 3 and the total macros for all 3 are (100, 120, 20), so each meal would be 33-35/40/7.

I'm 200 lbs, 6' 2", probably about 16-18% bf

Thank you

Sorry to put this in a separate reply, i forgot to put it in. I have a pint of milk with each meal which brings it up to your suggestions and i'm already cutting out the fat around pre and post and upping the carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunk View Post
    Sorry, no I haven't laid it out very clearly, the meals are split between 3 and the total macros for all 3 are (100, 120, 20), so each meal would be 33-35/40/7.

I'm 200 lbs, 6' 2", probably about 16-18% bf. I have a pint of milk with each meal which brings it up to your suggestions and i'm already cutting out the fat around pre and post and upping the carbs.
    With this data in mind, I stick by my recommendation to keep adding carbs and fat as you need to keep gaining weight ~1lb a week. Protein won't need to go up ever, likely.

1kg/week when you are 16-18% body fat is far too fast for the majority of endeavors in my opinion. 1lb/week would even be pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    1kg/week when you are 16-18% body fat is far too fast for the majority of endeavors in my opinion. 1lb/week would even be pushing it.
    Pushing it for what?

Maybe a little but unfortunately im nearing the end of workout to workout progression and I think the only thing keeping me going right now is the weight gain. I think when I next stall I'll eek out anymore progression I have on the advanced novice and then itl be weekly progression there on

Quote Originally Posted by Dunk View Post
    Maybe a little but unfortunately im nearing the end of workout to workout progression and I think the only thing keeping me going right now is the weight gain. I think when I next stall I'll eek out anymore progression I have on the advanced novice and then itl be weekly progression there on
    I would try to move to advanced novice before you stall.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I would try to move to advanced novice before you stall.
    Why so?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast