starting strength gym

Thread: Adding weight and sprints/metcons

Default Adding weight and sprints/metcons

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Your numbers don't add up the way you listed them for your macros or maybe I'm just dense (likely). At any rate, your meals look bigger than I'd like them to be and something like 60/50*/30** (p/c/f) 5x a day spread 3-5 hours would be much more optimal.

*= double the carbs pre and post workout
    **=half the fat pre and post workout.

Your weight gain is fine I think, as I don't know your weight it's hard to say, but it's probably fine. Keep it going.

Hello Jordan, I find your advise very smart,useful and kind. I am in the fourth week of SS as a novice ( 35 years old ,starting with 8% BF, 152 lbs, 5´10¨, 158 lbs in the 4th week) My calories around 4000 calories ( 400 ch,150 F, 200P).

My point is as follows: is convenient to add two days in a week of boxing training 1 1/2 hs each, or maybe some sprints?. Just for preference as feeling more active that way. However , if i added sprints I wouldn´t know how to proceed as I´ve read Anthony Colpo suggesting adding sprints inmmediately after weightlifting workouts and not in day-offs otherwise it could interfere with recovery.
    I have read you suggesting metcons in day-offs so I am a little bit hesitating about what to do.

Best regards and keep your great work!

There's a number of ways to work it and still be okay for recovery. Optimally I'd like you only do 1 day per week of hard conditioning with one of the following protocols on a day off (like Saturday at the end of a training week with another recovery day coming on Sunday):

-7 rounds x 20s ALL OUT effort:1:40s active rest, 10 minute cool down
    -12 100' prowler sprints on the minute every minute
    - any cardio modality x 10s on, 50s rest, 12 s on, 48s rest, 15s on, 45s rest, 20s on, 40s rest x repeat 3 total times and 10 minute cool down.

The boxing would likely be too much volume to incorporate into a SS program. Sprints would be okay, if you are decent at sprinting, otherwise the added stress on the body from the forces and rapid contractions might depress your squat from progressing as quickly, which is one of the goals in the SS program. I'd also bump up your protein to 225g, then add more carbs and fat to gain weight. You'll likely be your strongest at 195-220lbs so we need to get closer to there rather than 160-175.

Thank you very much Jordan, you are great. I will be doing the way you suggest.
    What is the reason why I should bump protein to 225 g? As I remember you recommended 1g/1.5 g per pound of bodyweight. I ask this just to know a little more. Thanks again!

Because you're 35 and are likely not as sensitive to protein as a 20 year old. Also, I'm assuming you're not using BCAAs (which may prove to be foolish on my part)

Yes, I´m using BCAAs as pre and post workout shake along with dextrose. Only three days a week on training days. This would change the bump up to 225P?

If you're only using BCAAs PWO and only 3x per week, yes, I'd still bump protein up to 225g.

Just 5 g BCAAs pre and PWO. Thanks a lot Jordan .

starting strength coach development program
    I'd double the dose PWO on that, too. :-)