starting strength gym

Thread: SS - 2 Days per week?

Default SS - 2 Days per week?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been trying on and off for several months to do Starting Strength.

I've made a little progress but keep slipping backwards as I walk away from the program.

I was using a 30 lb. bar to start. I haven't successfully performed a power clean. I am scheduled to meet with a local SS coach this weekend.

(Start, Current, PR)
    Squat (60, 105, 130)
    Press (40, 70, 70)
    Bench Press (40, 75, 85)
    Deadlift (60, 150, 195)

For the foreseeable future, I can only schedule 45-90 minutes for training, two days per week. I train at home, but I can't spare the time for a third session.

My current regimen is to squat, press and deadlift on Sunday, and squat, bench and deadlift on Thursday. I plan to add in power cleans on Thursday instead of deadilfts, after my deadlift reaches 200.

First question:
    Are there any severe downsides to doing SS for two workout per week instead of three? (Aside from progression being 33% slower.)

Second question: (Multi-part)
    The standard SS program progression would take me to alternate DLs and PCs in the third phase, adding in chins and back extensions in workout B. Are the back extensions that critical? Is there a sane substitute if I cannot get a roman chair?

Third question:
    My basic logic is that I am treating Sunday and Thursday of three weeks, as the MWF of two weeks. (S1=M, T1=W, S2=F, T2=M, S3=W, T3=F)
    Is this a valid practice to lead into Advanced Novice (Light Squats on Wed.) or especially Texas Method?

Meeting with a SS Coach is going to do more for you than anyone can across the wires. With that in mind, I can tel yo that consistency builds progress. Whether you work out two or three times a week is less important than continuing to do it week after week.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimmThing View Post
    Are there any severe downsides to doing SS for two workout per week instead of three? (Aside from progression being 33% slower.)
    I would not call the downsides severe. Three is better, but do what you can.

Are the back extensions that critical? Is there a sane substitute if I cannot get a roman chair?
    Rip has mentioned on a few occasions that back extensions are not critical. Don't worry about them if you don't have the equipment to do them.

Is this a valid practice to lead into Advanced Novice (Light Squats on Wed.) or especially Texas Method?
    Probably. However, it is premature to worry too much about that at present. What are your gender, age, height, and weight? If you are a male, you likely have a lot of workouts ahead of you before you need to worry about changing anything.

Whoops. I dropped out my vitals during editing.

Male, 37, 6'3", 425lbs.

I'm not worrying about my weight during linear progression. I'm cutting junk out of my diet and making sure I get a decent amount of protein.

I'm expecting a long slow climb here. I don't have particularly high androgen levels, and obesity kinda screws with that, as I understand.

Yes, I started with a deadlift of 14% of my bodyweight. Don't judge me.

The PRs are mostly from November before I had a breakdown over thee reaction to a form video I posted. I took teh interwebz advice too literally and I got frustrated and quit. I recently watched the SS DVD and realized that my form problems were overexaggerated in my head.

The good news is that even modest changes in diet and exercise will probably allow you to drop a good deal of weight quickly, which will aid your progress. Remember that the Internet has a way of distilling retardation in ways heretofore unknown and anonymous advice on said Internet should be treated in the light of what was paid for it. Comments on YouTube are probably the best example of this. Keep working hard. Progress is built with consistency. I would recommend adding walks into your routine, too.

I dropped back extensions and sit-ups from my routine on Rip's advice a few months ago and may never add them in again. I was having some back issues, but now I'm just doing the 5 lifts + chins and don't see much use for anything else. Keep things simple and you'll have better progress.