starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limited resources at Orphanage

Default Limited resources at Orphanage

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello this is my first post in this forum. I have been lurking for a while but now I have a question of my own.

I am a supervisor of boys age 12-17. We allow 50 minutes on the yard each day so that the children can get exercise and I would like to start up a weight program. We have several standard weight sets and a pair of stand-alone squat stands. However, we don't have the time and equipment for each boy to do the novice program.

Do you have suggestions on how I can set up a program? The boys are very eager to get started and I have told them that we will start on Friday.

You're the supervisor, but your forum handle is Orphan? Ok.

To answer this Q, we'll need more, and more specific, information.

1. How many barbells?
    2. Are they standard 45lb, 7 foot long bars, with the standard sized circumference on which to load plates?
    3. How many stations do you have to squat, press, and bench press out of?
    4. How many of each kind of weight plate do you have?
    5. How many kids will be lifting at once?
    6.. Can you stagger their yard time, or does everyone have to go at once?

Yes that's why I am in this line of work with other underprivileged youths.

We have 4 barbells but one is badly bent also 3 sets of dumbbell handles. They are all standard size. I weighed one of the bars and its just over 25 pounds but another one weighs 28 pounds. I am not sure how many plates we have all together because I need to organize the storage closet but there are at least a dozen 25 and 10 pound plates. Right now I have 50-some kids signed up and unfortunately everyone has their rec time together.

Regards,
    Orphan

I forget to add that we have no benches and only one place to squat from.

Standard size meaning that its one solid bar that accepts plates with 1" holes?

Dear Orphan,

Firstly, I want to thank you for the work you do. It is a testament to your innate humanity that you seek to bring the precious gift of strength to these underprivileged youds. Starting Strength would not be the appropriate program here. Instead, I think a mix of the best of East and West is called for. Firstly, I will quote legendary Southern California Strength Coach, Paul Horn, when asked to design the perfect program - "Blast the Biceps." High volume curls supersetted with chinups will be the ticket in this case. While you may not be able to issue firearms to all of the kids you work with, giving them their own set of "guns" is the next best thing. Couple the biceps work with plyometrics. If you don't have boxes, just have the kids lie on the ground and they can jump on one another. The writings of the legendary Yuri Verkhoshansky should be your guide here. Lastly, no training program is complete without a good diet. Moldy bread and rainwater are proven staples that will get these children yoked in no time at all. Best of luck and keep us apprised of your results.

Thank you, Tom.

I will learn more but we already do much field work. The children run between pylons in the yard and are taken for cross country racing. The varying shape of the ground and the many natural obstacles I think prepares their bodies for harder work and improves blood flow. It is necessary to vary the route to ensure that different muscles groups are incorporated. We use both wooded logs for throwing as well as jumping exercises to develop the spring-like strength of the legs that you speak about. Until now we have been using these heavy logs in place of the barbells. I think that I am misunderstood however. When we are in the gymnasium I was hoping that you could give sample barbell workout that fits within the constrains of my situation.

All the best,
    Orphan

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I will quote legendary Southern California Strength Coach, Paul Horn, when asked to design the perfect program - "Blast the Biceps."
    The ebook will be available soon, and I'll begin taking pre-orders for the sequel, Terrorize Your Tris with Coach Paul, shortly thereafter. I wouldn't recommend that one for kids, though. Too much volume on the kickbacks.

I would like to add, for the benefit of legendary Southern California Strength Coach Paul Horn, as well as any other aspiring iron-game authors, that I have already copyrighted the title and text of my next tome, Slaughtering the Serratus. I will, however, be happy to provide a complimentary copy to the orphanage, for the benefit of the youngsters.

starting strength coach development program
    It's kind of you to leave the clearly superior Shredding the Serratus for Coach Paul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast