starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming the press and push press form

Default Programming the press and push press form

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey mark,
    Since Christmas I have been microloading the press, doing 3x5 twice a week, each week adding 1 kilo to the bar. I intended to reach 65 kilo for 3 sets of 5, I however failed at 63.5kg this week. I think I may be overtrained so I am doing to deload this week and going start back at 62.5 for 3x5., then add a kilo each week.

When should I switch from 3x5 to 3x3, simply when I cannot perform 5 reps anymore? I am afraid to switch to 3x3 too early. I am aiming to get to at least 70 kilos (which is a couple of kilos of my bodyweight) for 3 sets of 5 by christmas.

Will adding in the push press, help improve the press? I am going to start adding it in but I have a slight problem with form I am hoping you could help me with. I find it difficult to rack on bar onto my delts and press from there. I find it puts my wrists in a vulnerable position, I only seen to find it comfortable when push pressing with the bar resting on my chest which I know isn't ideal. Any tips on how I can push from my shoulders?

cheers

Where does the 3x3 idea come from?

Quote Originally Posted by dun08032863 View Post
    Hey mark,
    Since Christmas I have been microloading the press, doing 3x5 twice a week, each week adding 1 kilo to the bar. I intended to reach 65 kilo for 3 sets of 5, I however failed at 63.5kg this week. I think I may be overtrained so I am doing to deload this week and going start back at 62.5 for 3x5., then add a kilo each week.
    If you actually need to deload, you'll need to deload more than just 1kg. 57 or 58kg would be more appropriate. But the question of if you need to deload still remains. Did you fail at 63.5 only once? If so, try it again the next time you're scheduled to press.

When should I switch from 3x5 to 3x3, simply when I cannot perform 5 reps anymore? I am afraid to switch to 3x3 too early. I am aiming to get to at least 70 kilos (which is a couple of kilos of my bodyweight) for 3 sets of 5 by christmas.
    I have the same question here as clembeebledude below: where did you get 3x3 as the next step from? And how tall are you? If 70kg is only a little less than your BW, I hope you're either a woman, very short, or rapidly gaining weight.

Will adding in the push press, help improve the press? I am going to start adding it in but I have a slight problem with form I am hoping you could help me with. I find it difficult to rack on bar onto my delts and press from there. I find it puts my wrists in a vulnerable position, I only seen to find it comfortable when push pressing with the bar resting on my chest which I know isn't ideal. Any tips on how I can push from my shoulders?
    Maybe, depending what's holding your press back, but it can also be hard on your knees. I usually recommend things other than the push press as assistance for the press. Post a video of your press.

cheers
    adios

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    And how tall are you? If 70kg is only a little less than your BW, I hope you're either a woman, very short, or rapidly gaining weight.

adios
    If he is nearly pressing bodyweight for sets and reps why does he need to gain weight?

Because we don't give a shit about relative strength. We care about strength strength.

Right now the press is weak and a lack of body weight may be the problem. Like Wolf said, unless he is a female or is advanced in age, 70kg is too light.

I don't believe I have to gain weight as "70kg is too light", I am 5'8, male, 25, 32 inch waist and very close to deadlifting 3 times bodyweight. I can press more than my bodyweight and intend to be able to press my bodyweight for a set of 5, by christmas.

Most people do care about relative strength as weightlifting and powerlifting, as you already know use weight classes. Is Lu Xiaojun too light? He isn't too light to clean 200kg+ on his shoulders and throw it above his head.

As for the deload misinterpretation, I meant that I will deload for a week and then start back at 1kg less than the weight I failed at, then microload it each week using 1kg.

I don't believe I have to gain weight as "70kg is too light", I am 5'8, male, 25, 32 inch waist and very close to deadlifting 3 times bodyweight. I can press more than my bodyweight and intend to be able to press my bodyweight for a set of 5, by christmas.

Most people do care about relative strength as weightlifting and powerlifting, as you already know use weight classes. Is Lu Xiaojun too light? He isn't too light to clean 200kg+ on his shoulders and throw it above his head.
    Can you clean 200kg? If you're the pinnacle of human development and can be really strong at a lighter than estimated body weight (and run around with body fat in the single digits) then that's cool. That's not the case for you, especially if you want to get stronger. This doesn't mean you have to get fat or sloppy, just that you'll likely be stronger and have more optimal leverages at a higher BW. I think close grip bench (incline and flat) help more than the push press for the actual press. And heavy dips. Depending on your programming you could use some of this stuff.

FWIW, I'm ~82-85kg and have a 105kg press and no one in in the gym (or on the platform) cares about my Schwartz/Malone/Wilks number. They just care if that number goes up to 110, 120, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Can you clean 200kg? If you're the pinnacle of human development and can be really strong at a lighter than estimated body weight (and run around with body fat in the single digits) then that's cool. That's not the case for you, especially if you want to get stronger. This doesn't mean you have to get fat or sloppy, just that you'll likely be stronger and have more optimal leverages at a higher BW. I think close grip bench (incline and flat) help more than the push press for the actual press. And heavy dips. Depending on your programming you could use some of this stuff.

FWIW, I'm ~82-85kg and have a 105kg press and no one in in the gym (or on the platform) cares about my Schwartz/Malone/Wilks number. They just care if that number goes up to 110, 120, etc.
    Hey Jordan

How would you add dips to my program?

I'm doing a standard version of the Texas method on a three day split. (volume/recover/intensity)

Currently I'm doing 3x8 weighted at the end of my intensity day. I was going up 2lbs every week till I got to 105lbs 3x8. I've stalled since then. Well, actually gone down in weight since then because my body weight (lean) has increased.

Sorry to veer off topic here dun08032863

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    So you lift to impress people in your gym?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast