starting strength gym

Thread: chronic wrist injury

Default chronic wrist injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My training partner is a periodontist who does implants, grafts, and other surgeries all day (hand and wrist health are important). It appears he has developed some sort of tendonitis in his wrist. It seems to flare up a day or two after deadlifting and/or pull-ups (the only two pulling exercises he does). Pressing motions are uncomfortable but he is convinced that it is the pulling that causes it to flare up. Over time it gets worse, to the point of not being able to carry a gallon of milk with his right hand (that is his dominant hand). The only thoughts I had were to do the heavy ibuprofen protocol (2400 mg/day) for a few days and get some wraps for warmth around his wrist.

Do you have any thoughts, suggestions, or questions regarding this situation?

The problem with chronic injuries is that once started, EVERYTHING irritates them to one extent or another. Tendinitis is one of those injuries that you have to work through - leaving it alone usually does not help. As soon as you come back to the exercise, it will flare up again. If his dominant hand is worse than his non-dominant hand, that means there's another (unilateral) activity that is also aggravating it. I've had good luck with wrist splints at night (I have De Quervain syndrome in each wrist). Tendinitis in weightlifting is usually caused by a technical problem (in this case, most likely with the grip). I would look at how he holds the bar on press and bench as a culprit, since the wrists are placed in extension.

Thanks for responding Steve. He is a mouth surgeon so that could be what causes more aggravation in the dominant hand. I remember when we first started training I helped him correct his wrist position in the pressing movements. I think he had a fair amount of extension going at the bottom of the ROM. I don't know for sure if that caused it but like you say now everything irritates it even (especially) the pulling movements.