starting strength gym

Thread: DL Form check please

Default DL Form check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    If you extremely talented individuals wouldn't mind commenting on this deadlift set I would appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRtqtVSgvxA

Notwithstanding that weird first rep, 3 things I would prioritize in your pull:

1. The bar is swinging back on you during the pull. Start with the bar over mid-foot, touching your shins. If you keep the bar in contact with your legs throughout the rep by dragging it up your legs, the bar will also stay right over mid-foot.

2. Pull the slack out of the bar by squeezing your chest up hard to set your back, with straight arms, before you pull the bar off the floor.

3. Make sure to come to full extension by locking your knees at the end of the pull, and keeping them locked. Don't unlock them at the top.

Thanks for the input Michael!

I have a further question. I am a fairly tall(6' 5") and obviously heavy person who carries all of my excess weight right in my midsection. I have watched a few of the other tall and big guys DL's such as Callador and Kong. What I see with them that looks a bit different than mine is that my legs seem to straighten up much earlier and I have to pretty much stiff leg the pull from below my kneecaps. Obviously this puts allot of strain on my lower back. So is it differences in individual anthropometry that cause this or am I off in my "timing"? Do you think it would help me at all to try sumo stance? I guess I am just feeling like I should be able to pull quite a bit more and anytime I get up to around 350lbs things get real tough and I feel like it is putting too much strain on my lower back. Or am I just pussing out?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by dynomite View Post
    What I see with them that looks a bit different than mine is that my legs seem to straighten up much earlier and I have to pretty much stiff leg the pull from below my kneecaps. Obviously this puts allot of strain on my lower back. So is it differences in individual anthropometry that cause this or am I off in my "timing"?
    Yes, your timing is off, and your hamstrings / low back are the weaker parts of your posterior chain. This is evidenced by your failure to maintain your back angle during your initial pull (your back becomes more horizontal when you start to pull). The initial DL movement is a knee extension while maintaining a constant back angle. You end up SLDL the bar from the knees, which is why you are feeling a strain on your low back, and also why you are losing extension.

Do you think it would help me at all to try sumo stance?
    I'm confident enough in Wolf's answer to this question to state categorically that WE want you to DL properly. Sumo is not necessary here.

I guess I am just feeling like I should be able to pull quite a bit more and anytime I get up to around 350lbs things get real tough and I feel like it is putting too much strain on my lower back. Or am I just pussing out?
    Your breathing needs work, too: you should not be exhaling in any way during the rep.

Deadlifts are hard. Deadlifts done improperly are harder.

Thanks for the input Michael!

I have a further question. I am a fairly tall(6' 5") and obviously heavy person who carries all of my excess weight right in my midsection. I have watched a few of the other tall and big guys DL's such as Callador and Kong. What I see with them that looks a bit different than mine is that my legs seem to straighten up much earlier and I have to pretty much stiff leg the pull from below my kneecaps. Obviously this puts allot of strain on my lower back. So is it differences in individual anthropometry that cause this or am I off in my "timing"? Do you think it would help me at all to try sumo stance? I guess I am just feeling like I should be able to pull quite a bit more and anytime I get up to around 350lbs things get real tough and I feel like it is putting too much strain on my lower back. Or am I just pussing out?

Thanks!!

You directed your reply to me since I responded to your OP, so I want to respond, but Steve has beaten me to the punch and nailed it. I have nothing of note to add to his reply.

starting strength coach development program
    Steve and Michael,
    Thank you both for your replies. I greatly appreciate the input. I will work hard on my low back and hamstring strength and continue to hone my deadlift.