starting strength gym

Thread: Lactic acid measurements

Default Lactic acid measurements

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coaches, the owner of my gym just asked if I would be interested in getting a lactic acid test(s). He just invested in the equipment for the triathlete crowd and also has vo2 max and base metabolism equipment.

He has been helping me with barbell training and completely understands how that works and how it is distinct from fitness training.

In any case, is there any merit in testing lactic acid at several intervals post a heavy set to determine optimum rest between sets? I suspect there is little to marginal benefit since I think there are too many other factors that determine rest between sets and exact timing won't produce noticeable results. Furthermore, if I'm setting my sets prior to the workout and making my reps, there is nothing to optimize.

Any ideas? I'm willing to be the test subject. Thanks!

Does it involve having holes poked in your skin?

There's no purpose whatsoever in doing that for the reasons that most people think are the reasons that lactate appears in the blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Does it involve having holes poked in your skin?
    Blood from ear lobe or finger.

Well, then, noting what Carlos says above, which I agree with, tell him he can poke you if you can poke him.

Blood lactate measurement will tell you:

1. What your blood lactate concentration was at the moment you were poked.

And that's it. It won't tell you how to train, or in what manner, or for how long...nothing.

VO2max might be fun to know, but again, unless you are going to track it and use it for something useful, why bother? I'm with Carlos and Steve on this.

Ryan Long Guest

VO2 make is a novel number to know, but I promise that if you are doing the program your VO2 make will be poor, fortunately this is a poor predictor of your utility.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks everyone. No surprises. Just thought I would ask the experts.

I did get the base metabolism test. Tells you how many calories you burn doing nothing. My only interest was to see if I was high, ave, or low. The gym owner measures very high and has trouble keeping weight on. I measured very average at 50yr old. This is a good test for people that can "never" loose weight. They typically think they have a very sluggish metabolism when typically they simply are eating too much for the energy expenditure. In any case, it's a number worth knowing if you can handle the truth.