starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Help

Default Deadlift Help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Coaches!

I'm having a bit of difficulty maintaining full extension with my deadlift. When I hit 205 with the deadlift I started having this problem.

It seems that the ratio of leg strength to back extension strength hasn't developed at the same rate. I'm not having difficulty ripping the weight off the ground....yes its tough, but my bar speed hasn't really slowed, I just seem to lose extension in my spine. Initially it was happening the last 1-2 reps but now it seems to be happening for the whole set.

I'm posting two videos 1) 200lb maybe minor loss of extension during the last rep; 2) 212.5lb with clear loss of extension.

Should I start doing some assistance work? Should I deload and rebuild my deadlift? I have a short torso and long legs...working against me. I really want my deadlift to continue to improve with the best form possible...

Thank you for your help!

200lb

212.5lb

You jerk your head up, and jerk against the bar as part of (attempting) to put your back into extension, but never really squeeze up tight. I see this quite often. Squeeze up harder at the beginning of the lift. It's not a jerky motion - it's a wave of extension that travels down the back.

Also, you need more knee extension at the beginning, and you need to stop overextending your lumbar spine at the top of the rep. The latter is a mistake with potentially hazardous consequences. Just stand up straight, and lift the chest.

Ok, re-attempted 212.5lb. I think I did a little bit better but as you can see I'm pretty gassed. It's not the weight, the weight doesn't feel heavy. It's trying to get into extension that is wiping me out. I think I should mention my Squat yesterday was 207.5lb....and I'm able to maintain extension in my Squat.

I think I'm less jerky but I'm not really sure if I corrected my knees or not.

Thank you for your time.

I'll comment later today. On my phone right now and the video is not showing up.

Your newly posted set of DLs in much better. When resting, rather than bending your arms and bending so much at the waist, just relax your back and let it arch a little. Gives you more breathing room, esp. with a belt on. You're doing a better job, as you say, holding the extension. And I understand about how it gasses you like that - it's the weak link in the chain right now, esp. with your squat so close to your DL.

As far as extension being easier to maintain in the SQ than the DL, that's true for everyone - it's a function of the more vertical back angle.

On your squats - you need a little bit less forward knee travel. You're almost doing a high bar squat with the bar in the low position. Stop your forward knee travel about 1/2-2/3 of the way down, and then don't let the knees move any more for the bottom part of the rep. You want to make them like they are planted in concrete. Then sit back and bend over. I think you'll find (once you get the faith to actually do it - it's still hard for me as I learned and squatted 18+ years high bar) that it's a much more powerful squat. Also, keep your head down - fight the temptation to lift it.

Ok. Thanks again for your help. I will continue to implement your suggestions with the Deadlift. The DL used to be my favorite until just recently because of this problem so whatever I need to do to make it better and stronger, I will try my best.

I just noticed my head lift in the squat! Hmm...I focus on keeping my head in line with my spine all the time. I'm going to go back and watch all my recent squats and see if I always do this. Good eye. I will work on that and the knees. I think as the weight has gotten heavier that has also become more pronounced. Again, going to review my more recent vids and see if that is always happening. Probably. And will try to fix.

Good thing. I'm going to the NY seminar in April!

I will report back!

Thanks again.

Rori

Quote Originally Posted by RoriMegan View Post
    Good thing. I'm going to the NY seminar in April!
    Cool. See you there!

Op nice job on those DLs!

Question for Steve,
    It looks to me like she is keeping her weight a little forward on the first 2 DLs. if she shifted back a hair or two towards her heels would that help also?

Quote Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
    Question for Steve,
    It looks to me like she is keeping her weight a little forward on the first 2 DLs. if she shifted back a hair or two towards her heels would that help also?
    In which video? Her last one looked fine to me.

Part of the problem is that the camera is moving. Perhaps she could give her videographer some quaaludes...

starting strength coach development program
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363722150.260463.jpg

This is just before the bar breaks from the floor. It looks like she could rotate back towards her heels (just a little, cause a little shift goes a long way). Her scapula looks a little forward of the bar.
    To be clear to anyone reading this, I am not saying to lower her hips (though her back angle would necessarily change slightly)! I am saying her weight looks a little forward to me / could shift a little back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast