starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega 3s

Default Omega 3s

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan,

Congrats on the PRs at the Arnold... Awesome job!

I've been following most of your recommendations on supplements for the past month and you're very detailed diet plan you gave me. So far, I think I'm seeing great progress.

I've used fish oils off and on for years now, without seeing much improvement in anything (only really noticeable thing is that I was getting a lot of bruising during Judo). I was mainly taking them for joint pain, but then I saw Rip mentioning that he takes megadoses (10g/day?) to help with joint pain.

I note that you only mention to use 1-2g a day. I take 1g (Carlson's) in the morning now with my vitamin D.

Today I came across an article by Wendler on t-nation about 531 (was just curious about how 531 stacked up against Texas Method) and he seems to be a big fan of this Flameout product[1], which I haven't heard about before.

Do you know anything about this? Is it legit? Anyone on this forum have any experience using it?

I've always had achy joints my whole life (especially knees, which has gotten better since finding SS squats!) and this product is promising amazing results, which I'm always leery of... Wendler endorsing it so strongly though made me think twice.

Thanks

--Kevin

[1] I'll post the link if you need it. I don't want to fill the forum with links to products in other stores... The Flameout product is by Biotest and is sold in the t-nation store. I have no prior experience with anything by Biotest or the t-nation store.

Flameout is high quality omega 3's for sure, but I don't recommend megadosing them because it's a fragile fatty acid and thus, oxidizes quickly and can increase free radical damage. I'd just stick to 1-2g per day and use other stuff like glucosamine chondrotin, cissus, etc. for achy joints.

You have to realize that fish oil supplementation has been studied pretty extensively and despite what you might hear or read, the literature does not support megadosing it. We can't superdose omega3's to reduce the pro inflammatory cascade, as it's actually more important to remove omega6's.

Cissus and knee sleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    You have to realize that fish oil supplementation has been studied pretty extensively and despite what you might hear or read, the literature does not support megadosing it. We can't superdose omega3's to reduce the pro inflammatory cascade, as it's actually more important to remove omega6's.
    Does this change at all in a ketogenic regime? Some proponents of keto diets mention very high fish oil supplementation, for instance, I've seen Robb Wolf talk about how he upped his fish oil intake to 15g/day. I guess I'm just curious as to how you guys have such drastic interpretations of the literature. I'm not trying to pit you against Robb Wolf or anything, it's just rather confusing when you get such different advice from different reputable sources.

Robb isn't a big fan of megadosing fish oil anymore. Lots of people, including me, got this wrong a few years ago. He doesn't recommend this anymore though IIRC. We have roughly the same interpretation on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Robb isn't a big fan of megadosing fish oil anymore. Lots of people, including me, got this wrong a few years ago. He doesn't recommend this anymore though IIRC. We have roughly the same interpretation on the matter.
    Awesome; that makes a lot more sense now lol. Thanks, dude.

Sorry for the double post, but I went over to Robbwolf.com, and sure enough it was on a podcast last month of how his interpretation of fish oil supplementation literature has changed. Spot on. Thanks, again, man.

Robb is a good dude. Hope to work with him in the future!

I'd get the rehbands over the TK's even though I like the TK's better, they rip. Rehbands are more expensive but they won't rip. I ripped 2 sets of TK's in 6 months.

Get some 5-10% cissus in cap form and take it per the bottle's instructions. It works well with glucosamine if you've got the bucks.

starting strength coach development program
    Richy richy rehbands is right. Can't believe the price of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast