starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High-bar squat form check

Default High-bar squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've temporarily switched back to the high bar squat until the tendinitis in my left elbow is healed/manageable. This me at my working weight. I would love any feedback from the pros that I can get. Thanks in advance.

You need to:

1: Set your back at the top of each rep (there's a video about this in the resources section).
    2: Keep your chest up more (you're trying to low bar your high bar squats)
    3: Keep your knees out (they're moving all over the place)
    4: Slow down your descent a bit

Thanks Jordan. I could feel myself trying to LB my HBs. After spending so much time working on the Low Bar Squat, I'm having a lot of trouble keeping my chest up.

It happens. Let your knees travel a little further forward as in a front squat (there's also a video on that) might be something to keep in mind.

Gave it another shot today, keeping your suggestions in mind.

The main thing I worked on was setting my back before each rep. This made it a little harder to hit my depth on each squat, and I obviously still need to work on it.

Still having trouble with my knees. I feel like they're a little more stable here though.

Is this looking any better? Even while keeping all of the cues in mind, it was much more difficult to make the changes then I'd hoped.

Definitely looking better. You still may want to cue yourself with more 'knees' forward on the way down during warm ups and then driving out of the hole with your chest, rather than hips. You keep going to your hips because you're stronger that way, but this creates that horizontal back angle you're trying to prevent in the HBBS.

Also, keep your knees out better both on the way down and up. Your depth is much too deep for the LBBS and the way we coach them but for a HBBS it's acceptable.

Could he go for the powerlifting version of the HBBS, especially since he is just doing this squat to get stronger? TS, check out any of Eric Lilliebridge's videos on Youtube. He squats HB to powerlifting depth. The mechanics are slightly different too because of that.

The squat is the same but since he has wraps on he can (likely) get away with a less acute knee angle. Some of his squats look good (<800) and others are borderline for depth, although I sure as shit won't call him on it but the IPF/USAPL would. He's a brutally strong and talented individual for sure though. In short, I don't see anything about Lillibridge's squat technique that would help young Hammock here.

Thanks for looking! I was just thinking that cutting his depth a little could help him get more pounds on the bar.

starting strength coach development program
    Absolutely agreed, but I'd hate for him to cut it too short.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast