starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Squat Form Check

Default Another Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I really appreciate all of the coaches here who give so much time to these forums. StartingStrength.com has become my number one source of all strength training goodness, so thank you.

With this new forum, I thought I'd try to get some help with the little details of my squat.

I just finished my senior year of wrestling and don't plan on continuing in the sport, so I am beginning for the first time an unhindered strength gain with zero weight worries. I'm running SS for the third time following a wrestling season, but now it's just a quick LP to regain strength before moving back to intermediate programming.

17 years old
    150 lbs
    Current weights (I have not yet eclipsed previous PRs from last October before wrestling season began)
    SQ 310
    BP 195
    PR 135
    DL 305
    PC 135

My concerns with my squat mainly have to do with my wobbly knees. I try to shove them out but they always tend in but never much farther than over my big toe. Is that an acceptable place for my knees to come to on heavy sets, or should I not even let them come that far in? Anyways, thanks for any and all help.

http://youtu.be/4mxblpBJEJQ

Firstly, I wish I could squat 310 for reps when I was 17. I wish I knew what a squat was when I was 17. However, I digress. I don't notice your knees caving in too much, at least not from this angle. I do see you dropping into the bottom of the squat, getting a little loose and then kicking your butt back instead of up. You then follow this by lifting your chest mid way through the movement. Descend a little more slowly. Don't go four inches below parallel. Drive your ass straight up and continue to push with the hips all the way to the top of the movement. Nice work.

Is his head movement an issue?

It's not ideal.

Thanks so much. For tomorrow's sets of 315 (an all time PR) I will work on those cues. What video angles, other than what I had, would help?

And to be clear, if I were to shorten your advice to some simple cues for me to use would it be as follows?
    - Slow/controlled descent
    - Fast/explode up
    - Hips up (from the hole)
    - Finish with the hips?
    - Constant eye gaze/head position

I'd probably make it even simpler.

Slow descent
    Chin down
    Drive the hips up

I'm just glad to know I'm at least as strong as a 17 year old who weighs 75 pounds less than I do.

Reality can be a cruel mistress.

Quote Originally Posted by clembeeblebrox View Post
    I'm just glad to know I'm at least as strong as a 17 year old who weighs 75 pounds less than I do.
    Did I mention I'm 5'6" and haven't grown in almost two years. You can always get stronger. You can't always get taller.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentShots View Post
    ...You can always get stronger...
    Awesome. That's something I didn't have any concept of until I was 40. It's good to see someone doing things right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast