starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting the dreaded machines...

Default Cutting the dreaded machines...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been doing strength work for about 2 years now, doing barbell work interspersed with machine work. Lately I've been really dreading the machine stuff... I just find it boring and it doesn't feel worth it. Meanwhile, I love the barbell work.

I've been making my way through Starting Strength volume III. I love it, it is fantastic. You mention many times that machines are quite redundant... I'm just afraid that in cutting the machine work that I am doing that I will be missing an essential part of my workouts.

Here's what I've been doing, prescribed by a trainer that recently moved away. Is there anything that I can cut out or sub for other things? The things that I've starred are the things I'm not that excited about...

DAY 1
    ---
    Squats (5x5reps)
    **Leg Press (3x10reps)**
    **Hamstring Curl machine (3x10reps)**
    Toes to Bar (3x10reps)
    Knees to Elbow w/ 30lb dumbell (3x10reps)

DAY 2
    ----
    Bench Press (5x5reps)
    Weighted Tricep Dips w/ 55lbs (5x5reps)
    **Pec Fly machine (3x10reps)**

DAY 3
    ----
    Deadlift (5x5reps)
    3 different kinds of pullups (3rounds of each, 10 reps = 90 total)
    **Cable Rows (3x10reps)**
    **Lat Pulldown (3x10reps)**

DAY 4
    ---
    Press (5x5reps)
    Push Press (5x5reps)
    Power Cleans (5x5reps)
    **Dumbell side lateral raises (3 rounds of pyramid sets)**

In terms of end goals, I just want good, all around strength, and to feel the best I can in my body.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Have at it, boys.

I wondered how you were going to handle this.

OP: think (really think, i.e. what muscles are you working through what kind of range of motion) about what you're working with the barbell then think about what you're working with the machines.

Then tell us what you believe you could possibly be missing by ditching the machines.

Bro... You need to do MORE machine work. You aren't doing enough! Quit being a little girl... man up.... and add 10 sets of machine flys to your workout. Make sure to superset them with the thigh adductor machine.

cafeteriabananas,

There have been many posts on this forum admitting at some point in their training they weren't doing the program exactly as perscribed (i.e. fucking around inserting their own exercises to 'improve' the program), myself included, until finally you start doing the program as perscribed and realise it's what you should've been doing all this time.. IF you do the program, you will get optimal results. The sooner the better, good luck!

Simon

Paul Horn... Paging Paul Horn.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeteriabananas View Post
    Lately I've been really dreading the machine stuff... I just find it boring and it doesn't feel worth it. Meanwhile, I love the barbell work.
    You already have supplied your own answer.

Hell yeah you'll be missing an essential part of your workout ... it's called ARMS DAY! Look, I'm sure your "trainer" meant well, but there is nowhere near enough direct arm work in that program. Doesn't he know the biceps have a peak, and that peak can only be worked with a machine preacher curl? I mean, this is basic anatomology! My clients have an entire day devoted to the elusive bi-peak. They walk into my gym and I yell, "Ok Hombres, it time to pulverize your peaks!" They know what's coming: supersets of machine preachers, reverse cable curls, 1-arm machine preachers, concentration curls, no-arm machine preachers, triangle perpendiculars and negative hammer curls. You may call that crazy, but at The House of Horn, we call that fucking Monday! I'd offer to train you, but I'm too expensive, too awesome and too busy tanning. Hope this was helpful.

P.S. Do you do creatine?

Paul Horn delivers again.

starting strength coach development program
    "No-arm machine preachers"

If I hadn't peed my pants at the first couple sentences, this would have done it. Damn premature evacuation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast