starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When and how to get the calories in?

Default When and how to get the calories in?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    As I said over in Rip's Q&A the other day, I'm back on SS and trying very hard to do what I'm told.

Here's the thing. I've always been built like a rake, I'm just above Half-GOMAD now (working my way up) and have been trying to increase my food intake too. I'm recovering pretty well between workouts but I feel absolutely grim. I made it all the way to 3000 calories yesterday but felt like I was always either eating or drinking milk and never once felt hungry... haven't felt hungry all week.

Now, I could EASILY supplement with a healthy dose of cannabis, get the munchies and eat all the food in the kitchen, but before I resort to that particular approach (and I will if I need to - dedication, you see), I would like to know how best to go about structuring my food and milk intake so I get to at least empty my stomach before the next meal starts. Getting to feel hungry before eating would make me very happy, though I accept that may not happen.

Blank slate (possible exception for canned fish... it doesn't appeal at the best of times. I'll get on it eventually but right now the thought alone makes my stomach churn).

Any tips? Patterns? Anything?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Not trying to be dense, but what is your question?

I believe this is a slightly more dull version of the epic post "Gain Weights" (aka Help Bigger): http://startingstrength.com/resource...37727&p=621208

With special emphasis of his life feeling like (quoting from the above): "Full bowl eat bowl more bowl".

Sorry. Probably lost in all the background.

Eating 3 meals a day and drinking half GOMAD leaves me feeling really rough, dreading the next meal and filling the time between meals with sipping milk to get it all down.

Is there an eating and drinking schedule that can be followed to avoid the intake being near-constant?

Say, splitting down to 3 small meals and a main evening meal with milk taken before or after each... or something?
    I don't fancy starting a course of trial and error as I know someone will have figured this out already.

Basically it's great to aim for doubling my daily calorie intake, but without a workable plan of HOW to do it I'm not exactly having the easiest of times by a long shot.

Eat a 40-50g of protein (8oz of meat, 2 scoops whey, 8 eggs, etc) 5 x per day (3 meals + 2 shakes work nicely). Have a good bit of carbs with each meal (oats, rice, potatoes, etc.), and as many veggies as you want. Put down a glass or two of whole milk with each meal. You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Eat a 40-50g of protein (8oz of meat, 2 scoops whey, 8 eggs, etc) 5 x per day (3 meals + 2 shakes work nicely). Have a good bit of carbs with each meal (oats, rice, potatoes, etc.), and as many veggies as you want. Put down a glass or two of whole milk with each meal. You're welcome.
    This will be the most under-appreciated, overlooked post on this section of the forum. What a shame.

New "What should my macros be?" question in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Horn View Post
    This will be the most under-appreciated, overlooked post on this section of the forum. What a shame.

New "What should my macros be?" question in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ...
    Agreed

I find that a cup of water + whey + a spoonful of choco-syrup between meals actually makes me hungrier for the next meal. Maybe because there's no fat in the drink? But its awfully easy to get 3300 kCal and 280g protein per day this way even eating very clean.

Quote Originally Posted by BigShot View Post
    Eating 3 meals a day and drinking half GOMAD leaves me feeling really rough, dreading the next meal and filling the time between meals with sipping milk to get it all down.
    This is just how it is for skinny guys like us. Like squatting, it doesn't get easier, but you get to be able to do more. My 2 cents is to gorge 3x per day - eat until you're stuffed, then drink the milk on top. Munching/sipping all day just makes it worse. Spread the meals out a bunch if you have to. Gorging also has the effect of increasing your stomach capacity.

starting strength coach development program
    3700 Calories yesterday... feels like an achievement! Not long until I hit 4000 now. Onwards and upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Thank you very much, Jordan. Just the kind of thing I was looking for.
    I had no idea what search terms to use to dig that answer out (I'm guessing it's not the first time you've answered it) from the sea of technical things that mean nothing to me. I have no idea what a macro even is! Haha.
    Simple like SS itself. Ideal.

So really I just need to make breakfast a bit bigger and add a meal before bedtime.

I can do that.

(Oh, and thanks for putting the protein into real world examples. Huge help! Saved me some time messing around with nutrition information tables.

I feel Paul may be right about it being under-appreciated and overlooked... but not by this guy.

Great answer.

CWD - I might try a couple of weeks with and without doing that and see what difference it makes. Thanks for the tip. Anything that let's me feel hungry is a bonus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast