starting strength gym

Thread: Macros check?

Default Macros check?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan, I'm hoping you'd take a look at my macros (and macro goals) and see if they're aligning with my fitness goals:

Me:
    41yo male novice
    6'2" / 200# / 23%BF / 7.25"wrist
    Currently doing ABA 5x5 LP w/ current lifts at:
    Squat 185 5x5 / Bench 140 5x5 / DL 205 1x5 / Seated Press 85 5x5 / BB Row 105 5x5
    I recently added 1 day of HIIT / week. (bike on trainer)

Goals:
    Overall, I want to be lean and strong - not big. Attempting to "recomp" / gain minimal fat. My plans is to continue w/ LP until ~May 1 - then I will cut for cycling events starting in late June <- why I don't want to gain too much now.

Question:
    I'm progressing with LP without much struggle at this point but am expecting things to get hard very soon. Below are my current macro averages for the past several weeks. I also added where I think they should be.

Are these goals appropriate and/or do you think I'll get through my LP until May1 continuing to eat like this?

Work out day (current / goal?):
    Carb: 210g / 240g
    Fat: 74g / 105g
    Protein: 160g / 180g

Rest days (current / goal?):
    Carb: 180g / 125g
    Fat: 74g / 55g
    Protein: 145g / 180g

Am I fucking myself with my diet or my training? Thanks, dude!

You're fucking yourself with your protein levels for sure. Add 110g of protein per day and 50g of carbs to your training days. See what happens in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    You're fucking yourself with your protein levels for sure. Add 110g of protein per day and 50g of carbs to your training days. See what happens in 2 weeks.
    So I should something like this:

270 / 260 / 75 on training days
    250 / 180 / 75 on rest days

Is that more like it? I suck at math, but I think that puts me at around 2800 and 2400 cals for training / rest days respectively. You think that should keep me from packing on too many pounds, but still keep with the LP?

FWIW, the only supplements I take are whey, creatine, and a multi.

Yea that looks better. I don't think you'll gain much fat from that at all, at least not anything significant in excess of your LBM gain. Your LBM gain is desirable however, as it will likely lead to and result from increased force production. This will make you a better cyclist more than being lighter and weaker.