starting strength gym

Thread: First time squat check

Default First time squat check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi coaches,

Long time lurker, first time requesting a form check. Let me just start by saying "thank you" for all the advice you provide. I love what this site is all about. A little background: Been doing SS on and off for a few years, I've finally decided last month to buckle down and dedicate myself to the program. I've read the book, I'll probably re-read it again soon. I'm 28, 6'1", currently 240 (this is an all time high for me). My lifts are :

Squat 3x5x260
    Bench 3x5x180
    DL 1x5x315
    PC 5x3x170
    Press 3x5x140

I've been feeling great the past month, getting my calories/protein. These current numbers are my all-time highs. I had never had my squat form checked before so I figured before I moved on I would have a friend film so I could critique myself and maybe get some advice. What I saw I initially wasn't pleased with. This was my last set on a day when I didn't warm up very well. Personally, I notice some butt-wink (which I think I can fix with better warmup/stretching) and some knee travel. I was thinking depth might be an issue but I know its hard to tell from this angle.

What do you think coaches? Is my form poor enough where I should drop some significant weight? Or can I continue with my current weight and tweak some little things?

Thank you for your input.

You do not suffer from butt wink, which is a pretty awful term, but lumbar overextension followed by lumbar flexion. At the top of the squat, you throw your head back and overextend your low back. As you get lower, your low back rounds while you are still looking straight ahead. As you ascend, you send your butt and knees back, followed by extending your hips. You look a little like a towel that someone is trying to snap.

Look downward for the whole set. Chin down, chest up. Get tighter. Lock your back and torso down with a big breath and don't let it move. Do not allow yourself to relax at the bottom.

I'll add that while it probably doesn't feel like it to you, these weights are still very easy for you. They're flying up.

Continued hard, consistent work along with tightening things up by following Tom's advice, should have you leaving these current all-time-highs very far in the rearview mirror.

Hi coaches,

Encouraging words. Thank you for your time.

Hi coaches,

Just finished my squat set and I really focused on keeping my head down and my body tight. I could feel my form breaking down even more. What i noticed is that I felt the weight shift from my heels to he middle of my feet. I felt like I couldnt sit into it and really get any depth. And I felt the drive coming straight from my quads. I think I'll drop to maybe 235 and see if I can get a few videos up.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRunnings View Post
    I could feel my form breaking down even more. What i noticed is that I felt the weight shift from my heels to he middle of my feet.
    Since you say you've read the book, you know that the middle of your foot is where we want the weight to be, not your heels. If I'm misunderstanding what you meant, please elaborate. Otherwise you will want to move up that "I'll probably re-read it again soon" to "You should re-read it today" because this is one of, if not the, most essential points of the whole model.

Sorry. To be clear, I felt my weight shifting forward closer to the toe side.

starting strength coach development program
    That's very different from what you wrote. Post another video.