starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help, in 3 months I have gone backwards?!?

Default Please help, in 3 months I have gone backwards?!?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach,

I need your help & advice, I'm a 37 year old male, over the last few months I have been trying to work my way through LP as prescribed in SS 3rd Ed. In December 2012, I had my body composition analysed by a funky machine at the gym, my numbers weren't great but I thought they were acceptable at the time for where I was on my journey through SS.

Over the last 3 months, I've missed a total of about 4 weeks, due to injuries & physio appointments. I've also had to reset a couple of times, once after a 2week break due to being in too much pain from physio, the other to try & improve my squat form. This has resulted in the weights I'm lifting today not being very much higher than the weights I was lifting when I was last analysed.

I started keeping a log here a fortnight after my first analysis, my opening weights were:

DL:125kg (275.5lbs)
    SQ:97.5kg (214.9lbs)
    BP:75kg (165.3lbs)
    PC:45kg (99.2lbs)(I had just started learning these, I had only done these twice)
    P:47.5kg (104.7lbs)

My current weights are:

DL: 140kg (308.6lbs)
    SQ: 105kg (231.4lbs)
    BP: 82.5kg (181.8lbs)
    PC: 57.5kg (126.7lbs)
    P: 55kg (121.2lbs)

Today, I was booked in for another analysis, as it's been just under 3 months since my last one. Even with my erratic training schedule taken into account, the results were totally not what I was expecting, I thought that my weight would be about the same, with an increase in lean body mass & a decrease in body fat%. What came out of the machine today was a 2.8kg loss in overall weight, a 1.3kg loss in skeletal muscle mass, a 0.3kg loss in body fat & an increase in visceral fat area from 120.5 to 125.9. I'm also down on my intra cellular water, extra cellular water, protein & mineral scores. My overall fitness score has decreased from 86 to 83. The only things that have increased, are my body fat percentage & my visceral fat area.

I could have cried when the machine operator dude was explaining the results to me. I've been doing my best to stick to the programme as much as possible, my body looks better (more muscular) than it did 3 months ago & I just don't know how I could have lost lean body mass like this.

Both times, the same machine was used & I was analysed on the same day of the week at roughly the same time. I've scanned my score sheets & added them here for you or anyone else who can understand these things to have a look at, I'm booked in for another analysis in just under a fortnights time, ideally it would be further away but I'm leaving this gym at the end of the month so won't have a access to this machine after that. I know I'm not going to be able to improve things much in a fortnight but I would really appreciate some help & advice on what I need to do to stop my numbers going the wrong way & start getting them going the right way.

I'm gutted right now, what has gone wrong for me & what do I have to do to put it right?

Body Analysis 241212.jpgBody Analysis 180313.jpg

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Coach,

I need your help & advice, I'm a 37 year old male, over the last few months I have been trying to work my way through LP as prescribed in SS 3rd Ed. In December 2012, I had my body composition analysed by a funky machine at the gym, my numbers weren't great but I thought they were acceptable at the time for where I was on my journey through SS.

Over the last 3 months, I've missed a total of about 4 weeks, due to injuries & physio appointments. I've also had to reset a couple of times, once after a 2week break due to being in too much pain from physio, the other to try & improve my squat form. This has resulted in the weights I'm lifting today not being very much higher than the weights I was lifting when I was last analysed.

I started keeping a log here a fortnight after my first analysis, my opening weights were:

PC:45kg (99.2lbs)(I had just started learning these, I had only done these twice)

My current weights are:

Today, I was booked in for another analysis, as it's been just under 3 months since my last one. Even with my erratic training schedule taken into account, the results were totally not what I was expecting, I thought that my weight would be about the same, with an increase in lean body mass & a decrease in body fat%. What came out of the machine today was a 2.8kg loss in overall weight, a 1.3kg loss in skeletal muscle mass, a 0.3kg loss in body fat & an increase in visceral fat area from 120.5 to 125.9. I'm also down on my intra cellular water, extra cellular water, protein & mineral scores. My overall fitness score has decreased from 86 to 83. The only things that have increased, are my body fat percentage & my visceral fat area.

I could have cried when the machine operator dude was explaining the results to me. I've been doing my best to stick to the programme as much as possible, my body looks better (more muscular) than it did 3 months ago & I just don't know how I could have lost lean body mass like this.

Both times, the same machine was used & I was analysed on the same day of the week at roughly the same time. I've scanned my score sheets & added them here for you or anyone else who can understand these things to have a look at, I'm booked in for another analysis in just under a fortnights time, ideally it would be further away but I'm leaving this gym at the end of the month so won't have a access to this machine after that. I know I'm not going to be able to improve things much in a fortnight but I would really appreciate some help & advice on what I need to do to stop my numbers going the wrong way & start getting them going the right way.

I'm gutted right now, what has gone wrong for me & what do I have to do to put it right?

Are you drinking 3.785 litres of milk/day?

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

You admit that you have not been training consistently. Are you really surprised that you have lost LBM?

Get back to a consistent schedule. It'll fix itself. And how in the blue bloody hell are you that depressed over a relatively small drop in numbers on an already-flawed analysis machine? Let the weight on the bar and a mirror be your guide to how well you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Enjoy!
    Thanks Rip. I definitely owe you one for this passing this gem on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Coach,

My current weights are:

Brodie basically said it all, but let's recap:

1. You've lost 1/3 of the past 3 months of training time to injury and rehab (injuries that you didn't tell us any details about, so we can't help you with).
    2. Despite #1, you've made progress over the past 3 months in your lifts. Mediocre and slow progress, but still some progress.
    3. You've got your panties in a wad because of some machine based analysis of your body comp over that time.

My suggestion is to use correct form to avoid injury, train harder and more consistently, and never get that stupid InBody test ever again. I can't say it better than Brodie did:

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Let the weight on the bar and a mirror be your guide to how well you're doing.

I bet that when they put him back together (I'm assuming they dissected him to get all those numbers), they just left a little bit of LBM on the table. Like when I work on my car, there's always some leftover stuff. Or putting together furniture from Ikea.

And he did say
    I'm gutted right now

I think you're on to something here, Russ. Good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    You admit that you have not been training consistently. Are you really surprised that you have lost LBM?

Get back to a consistent schedule. It'll fix itself. And how in the blue bloody hell are you that depressed over a relatively small drop in numbers on an already-flawed analysis machine? Let the weight on the bar and a mirror be your guide to how well you're doing.
    I've overstated my disappointment at the results I received, I'll survive. I guess I just needed a bit of encouragement that this was normal & to be expected after my erratic training. I didn't realise that these machines the gym uses aren't all that reliable.

I'll just focus about being consistent with my training for a bit & try to get to the end of my SS LP without any more distractions.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    My suggestion is to use correct form to avoid injury, train harder and more consistently, and never get that stupid InBody test ever again. I can't say it better than Brodie did:
    Understood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast